WILLIAM B.M. BURRELL was born in Hatboro PA on July 16, 1865 to the Reverend William H. and Elizabeth Burrell. Reverend William H. Burrell was a successful and well known Methodist minister. He was one of the founders of Ocean City NJ, and was famous in the days before marriage licenses as "the marrying minister".
Census records show that the Burrell family had moved to Philadelphia by 1870. The 1880 census shows the Burrell family still in Philadelphia, living at 1630 North 13th Street. At that time the family included, besides William M.B., older siblings Margaret, Lilly, and Harry, and a younger sister, Alma.
By 1888 the Burrell family had moved to 43 Cooper Street in Camden. William M.B. Burrell was working as a bookkeeper and attending the Renouard College of Embalming in Philadelphia. After graduating in 1891, he opened up a funeral parlor in Camden, where he plied his trade for many years. In 1893 he married Caroline "Carrie" Hatton, the daughter of Dr. Louis Hatton of Camden. A son, Horace, was born in 1896.
By 1910 William B.M. had established his home and business at 427 Market Street. His in-laws, the Hattons resided there as well. His son Horace Burrell would graduate from Pennsylvania State University with an engineering degree, and served as Second Lieutenant with the United States Army during World War I. Carrie Burrell passed away on July 31, 1925.
William Burrell remarried after the death of his first wife. At the time of the 1930 Census he was still living and working at 427 Market Street with his second wife Elinor, and his sister Alma.
By the fall of 1936 William B.M. Burrell was not listed in the New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory.
William B.M. Burrell was active in many professional, fraternal, and other organizations. His fraternal ties included the Masons, the Shriners, the Elks, the Moose, the Tall Cedars of Lebanon, the Improved Order of Red Men, and the Junior Order of American Mechanics. He served on Camden's Board of Health, and was on the official board of the Broadway Methodist Episcopal Church. He taught Sunday School at the First Baptist Church and was a member of the Usher's Union of the First Presbyterian Church. He also was a member of the Camden Chamber of Commerce, the Camden Club, and the Camden County Historical Society.
Inquirer - January 27, 1915
Click on Image for PDF File
|Spruce Street - Cooper Hospital - Harvey Payton|
March 23, 1918
Click on Image for Enlarged View
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE