CLARENCE THOMAS MADDEN was born June 5, 1883 to Thomas and Winifred Madden. The 1900 Census shows the Madden family living at 11 South 3rd Street, between Federal Street and Taylor Avenue. His father owned a bar at that address. Besides Clarence there was an older sister, Anna, and a younger brother, Walter Madden. Another sibling had died prior to the census being enumerated. The family moved a few houses away, to 21 South 3rd Street shortly after the Census was taken. The 1906 City Directory shows Clarence Madden working as a clerk, and living at 21 South 3rd Street. He was still at that address when the 1914 City Directory was compiled.
Clarence Madden was first appointed to the Camden Fire Department on July 1, 1910, and served with Engine Company Number 2, stationed at 5th and Arch Street. Camden's Fire Department was still using horse- drawn equipment when he began his service.
When he registered for the draft September of 1918 Clarence Madden was living at 421 South 3rd Street. He and his wife Agnes and his widowed mother Winifred were living there in January of 1920 when the Census was taken. By 1924 he had moved to 2760 Mickle Street in East Camden, not far from the fire station at 27th and Federal Street.
In 1922 Clarence Madden was raised to Lieutenant, and on April 3, 1928 was promoted to senior captain of Engine Company 6. Clarence Madden was named battalion chief on November 21, 1944 and deputy chief of the Camden Fire Department on December 16, 1949. His last assignment prior to retiring was as the fire commander for the Second Fire District, based at North 27th Street & Federal Street. Chief Madden lived at 2760 Mickle Street into the early 1950s..
Deputy Chief Madden applied for his pension in July of 1950, a mandatory retirement at 65 law having been passed covering police and firemen. His last day on the fire department was August 31, 1950, when he retired along with Firemen John Prucella, Spencer Smith Sr., and Frank L'Esperance.
By 1959 he had moved to 635 Eldridge Avenue in Oaklyn NJ. Clarence Madden passed away in May of 1963. He was survived by his son Clarence T. Madden Jr.
Camden Fire Department
5th and Arch Streets - circa 1908
Camden Fire Department
5th and Arch Streets - 1918
Inquirer - November 15, 1910
Click on Image for PDF File of Complete Article
Lodge 293 Benevolent Protective Order of Elks
St. John's Episcopal Church
Camden Courier-Post - April 4, 1928
Nicholas - John
H. Lennox - Rollo
Jones - William Harring - Clarence
|Camden Courier-Post - July 11, 1933|
Madden - John
Mulligan - George
Garner - John
Engine Company 4 - Engine Company 5
East Camden Firehouse
At the intersection of 27th and Federal Streets, sits the Firehouse,
Click on Image to Enlarge
Company 9 & Ladder
Engine Company 9 & Ladder Company 3 - circa 1946
John Mulligan passed away on July 28, 1947
RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE