CHARLES WASHINGTON LETZGUS of Gloucester City NJ, after studying law in the office of Camden attorney George Bergen, became prominent in Camden legal circles, and was involved in banking and business in Camden in the 1920s and 1920s.
South Jersey: A History 1624-1924
CHARLES WASHINGTON LETZGUSó New Jersey is famous for the accomplishments of its professional men, and in no province has greater work been done than in that of the law. The present generation of lawyers have maintained the ideals and traditions of the early bench and bar in a manner that is the pride of the State. Of this notable legal fraternity, Charles Washington Letzgus is a distinguished member.
He was born October 6, 1884, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the son of Anton and Marie E. (Duscher) Letzgus. His father, born June 13, 1846, died January 13, 1906, while his mother, born October 10, 1851, still survives. Mr. Letzgus, Sr. was a cabinet-maker, noted for the artistry and dependableness of his workmanship.
Charles W. Letzgus was educated in the Gloucester City public schools, completing the high school course there in June, 1904, and later attending Temple University in Philadelphia. In November, 1904, he began to study law in the office of George J. Bergen, of Camden, New Jersey. In February, 1908, he was admitted to the New Jersey bar as attorney-at-law and solicitor in Chancery of New Jersey. In February, 1911, he won further admittance to new fields of legal work, as counselor-at-law and as Master in Chancery; and attorney and counselor in the United States District Court, and attorney, counselor and advocate in the United States Circuit Court, for the District of New Jersey. In September, 1917, he was appointed Supreme Court Examiner of New Jersey. In 1909 Mr. Letzgus began to give to Gloucester City the benefit of his long training and experience and was elected solicitor of the City Board of Health. In addition to that office, he was in 1916 elected city solicitor of Gloucester City. He retains both positions, and is said to be one of the most energetic and vigorous officials in the section, and an expert in municipal law work. A man of keen mind and sound judgment, with a broad knowledge of jurisprudence, Mr. Letzgus has given the office an administration which has won the admiration of the whole city. Although he retains his sympathy with all kinds of human beings and understands human nature, he remains a conscientious and impartial public official. With these qualifications he has been called on to fill additional public offices: On January 1, 1922, he was appointed solicitor of the Board of Health of the Borough of Westville; on February 13, 1923, he became solicitor of that borough; in July, 1924, he was appointed solicitor of the new Borough of Brooklawn and solicitor for its Board of Health, and in July, 1926, he was appointed solicitor of the new Borough of Runnemede.
He is a stockholder in half a dozen banks of the neighborhood, including the South Camden Trust Company, Parkside Trust Company, Victory Trust Company, and the West Jersey Title & Guaranty Company. In addition to the above named offices, all of which Mr. Letzgus still holds, he was in the primary of June, 1925, Republican candidate for nomination to the General Assembly, and elected to that office at the general election in November, 1925, and was again nominated at the June Primary, 1926, by over 11,000 majority. Throughout his business career he has carried on an extensive private law practice, including important tax litigation over a period of five years for the Pusey & Jones Shipbuilding Corporation at Gloucester. Recently he obtained the largest single verdict in the history of the county against the Public Service Railway Company, which was upheld by the Supreme Court. His reputation for winning cases is well-established, and he is an expert negligence lawyer, as well as enjoying a large general practice. He is a member of many fraternal orders and an office holder in several. He has been Past Noble Grand and District Deputy Grand Master for Arwames Lodge, No. 37, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and in 1923 was appointed Grand Conductor on the Grand Lodge Staff of New Jersey; in October, 1924, Grand Marshal, in October, 1925, elected Grand Warden, and on October 6, 1926, elected Deputy Grand Master. He is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and in April, 1926, was elected Esteemed Lecturing Knight of that body. He is a member of Thomas Jefferson Council, No. 138, Junior Order of United American Mechanics, of the Standing Elk Tribe, No. 22, of the Improved Order of Red Men, of which he was Past Sachem and Past Representative to the Great Council of the State of New Jersey since 1905. He is a member of the Gloucester City Republican Club, Gloucester Republican Association, First Ward Republican Club of Camden, New Jersey, and Waterford Township Republican Club of the same county. His religious affiliation is with the Protestant Episcopal Church of the Ascension.
Charles W. Letzgus married, August 14, 1906, in Camden, Anna C. Blome, daughter of Edward and Caroline Blome. No children have been born to them. He resides at Gloucester City, New Jersey, and maintains his law office at No. 509 Market Street, Camden, New Jersey. His home at Gloucester City is one of the finest in that city.
RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE