WILLIAM WOOD was born on July 1, 1887 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It appears that he came to Camden late 1899 or early 1900. The 1900 Census shows him living in Camden at 701 South 3rd Street, the corner of South 3rd and Line Streets, with his widowed step-mother, Virginia Wood, step-brother Joseph Wood, niece Laura Wood, and cousin Mary Donald. His step-mother ran a candy store at that location.
The 1910 Census shows William Wood living at 653 South 3rd Street with Virginia Wood and Joseph Wood. Both he and Joseph were working as machinists for an elevator company. He married around this time. William Wood is listed in the 1910-1911 Directory at 653 South 3rd Street. William Wood is not listed in the 1914 City Directory. Virginia and Joseph Wood were then living at 921 South 4th Street.
When William Wood registered for the draft on June 5, 1917 he was working as a foreman at the New York Shipbuilding Corporation shipyards on Broadway at Morgan Street. He was then living at 556 Division Street with his wife, Ethel R., and children William, Millicent, and Laura. He was still working at the shipyard when the Census was taken in January of 1920. William and Ethel Wood were till living at 556 Division Street in late 1923.
By 1924 William Wood had been appointed to the Camden Fire Department. Another son, Joseph Wood, was born around 1925. The Wood family is listed in the 1927 and 1929 City Directories at 1246 Dayton Street. The 1930 Census shows the Wood family at 1291 Sayrs Avenue, next door to fellow Camden Fire Department member John McTaggart, who lived at 1295 Sayrs Avenue.
By 1940 William Wood had been promoted to Captain and had been placed in command of Ladder Company 2 at 619 Kaighn Avenue. He was then living at 1250 Sayrs Avenue, and was still at that address when he registered for the draft in the spring of 1942. Fire Department records also show an address at 1009 Collings Road.
By the end of 1942 William Wood had moved to Mount Ephraim, New Jersey and left the Fire Department. He was granted a pension on October 1, 1943. He lived in Mount Ephraim into the early 1970s.
William Wood passed away in July of 1977. His wife joined him in 1982.
Camden Post-Telegram * August 19, 1925
Younger - Y.M.C.A
H. Stehr Jr.
Joseph Connell - John W. Golden
Charles T. Humes - Archie Riess
Walter A. Mertz - Engine Company 1
Everett Joslin - Joseph
McDonald - Vernon
Schucker - Harry
Wagner - Chris
Smith- could be David, George,
Roy, or Spencer William Rudd?
Motorcycle Sporting Club
RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE