T. COMERFORD JR. was born on February 28, 1889 to William and
Ida Comerford in Camden, New Jersey. The family had recently
moved to Camden from Delaware. William Comerford Jr. was one of
at least eight children. The family was living at 417 Erie
Street in North
Camden in 1890, according to that year's City Directory. His
father worked as a caulker and as a ship carpenter at the many
shipyards in Camden. When the Census was taken on June 1, 1900
the Comerford family was living at 13 North
21st Street in East
Camden. The Census shows the Comerford children, aged 18 to
1, as Theodore, Charles, Howard, William (the census records him
as Willie), Blanche, Paul, Pauline and George.
family was living at 8 Marlton Avenue in East
Camden when the 1906 Camden City Directory was
1914 Camden City Directory shows William Comerford and his
family, including his parents, at 15 North
25th Street. He was then working as a clerk.
party leader Jacob
Schiller lived nearby (at one time around the corner on
Federal Street) and it most likely was at his behest that
William Comerford was appointed to the Camden Fire
Department on November 26, 1916. During his career he served as
a Battalion Chiefs Aide, at the East
Camden firehouse from the time he joined the department
through the end of 1920, then at the Engine
Company 3 firehouse at 1813 Broadway.
He was working in the title of District Chief's Aide when he
Comerford was living at 2706 Westfield
Avenue in East Camden when he registered for the draft on
June 5, 1917. When the Census was taken in January of 1920
William Comerford, his wife Emma, their four sons, William
III, Frederick, Roland, and Lawrence, and his parents were
at that address. They were still at that address in 1927. When
the City Directory for 1929 was compiled, the Comerford family
had moved to 25 North
24th Street. The April 1930 Census shows William and Emma
Comerford, his parents, their four sons, daughter-n-law Mildred,
the wife of William III, and granddaughter Dolores at that
address. By 1931 William Comerford had moved to 39 South
33rd Street. By 1940 he had moved to 3808 Westfield Avenue.
November 16, 1940 Roland Comerford joined the Camden Police
Department, where he had a long and distinguished career.
On March 18, 1941, firemen arrived at a working fire in a
vacant dwelling at Chelton Avenue and Mulford
Street, South Camden. As members were extinguishing the blaze, Fireman William
Comerford discovered a moonshine still on the second floor.
The building had been a contraband whiskey factory.
Leonard Megee summoned police who confiscated fifteen gallons of stock.
Comerford registered for the draft a second time in the spring
of 1942. The family then lived at 3808 Westfield
Avenue. By 1943 William and Emma Comerford had moved to 207
North 40th Street.
Comerford Jr. having reached the mandatory retirement age of 65,
retired on May 1, 1954. The Comerfords were still living at 207
North 40th Street as late as the fall of 1959. William Comerford
Jr. passed away in November of 1964.