ROBERT DENNY CLOW JR. was born June 26, 1890 in Camden to Robert D. and Jessie Clow. His family was then living at 404 Sycamore Street, his father being engaged in the insurance business with the Equitable Beneficial Insurance Association.
Robert D. Clow Jr. attended Camden public schools, and graduated from the Camden Manual Training & High School at Haddon and Newton Avenues. When the census was taken in 1910, the Clow family resided at 506 State Street.
While continuing his education after high school, Robert D. Clow Jr. worked briefly at the Munger & Long Department store at the corner of Broadway and Federal Street. A talented violinist, he devoted a year to music before becoming involved in the real estate and insurance. He opened his own business in that line on October 15, 1912, at 411 Broadway, next to the newly built Eagles Hall. In 1915 he moved to 21 Broadway, where John H. Heaton had formerly had a piano store. On June 1, 1923, he opened a new office at 313 Market Street. During the early 1920s he devoted most of his attention to real estate matters in the Sewell section of Washington Township in Gloucester County. He was also active with the YMCA, the Elks, the Improved Order of Red Men, the Board of Trade (predecessor to the Chamber of Commerce), and other professional and fraternal organizations.
In January of 1920 Robert and Vera Clow lived at 211-A Penn Street, the Sabra Apartments. His mother and older sister Irena were living at 519 State Street when the 1930 Census was taken, but I could find no record of Robert D. and Vera Clow that year or in later references at my disposal.
His sister, Irena C. Clow still resided at 519 State Street as late as 1947, when she was working as the secretary-treasurer of the New Jersey Corporation Guarantee & Trust Company at 304-306 Market Street. She was still living at that address as as late as 1956.
South Jersey A History 1624-1924
ROBERT DENNY CLOW, JR.—In the realty account of the growth and development of South Jersey, a chapter of considerable interest and value is that relating to the work that has been accomplished within the past several years through the enterprising real estate agency of Mr. Clow, who is one of the most prominent men in the State engaged in that line of business. With the opening up and introducing into the market of large tracts of suburban Camden, and their disposal to appreciative patrons and home-builders, Mr. Clow has a territory of activity entirely his own, and in which his painstaking methods have been given largest opportunity for their use. He is a son of Robert D. Clow, born December 25, 1852, died December 4, 1922, and of Jessie M. (Kane) Clow, born January 20, 1862, and survives her husband. Robert D. Clow was engaged in life insurance matters, and was associated with the Equitable Beneficial Insurance Association for thirty-one years.
Robert Denny Clow, Jr., was born June 26, 1890, at Camden, where he attended the public and high schools, afterwards taking business courses at Temple University, the Young Men's Christian Association School, and the Bankers' Business College. He also took a violin course at a conservatory of music.
In the early part of 1906, he was employed at the Munger & Long Department Store as salesman, and later in the clerical and order departments of the Victor Talking Machine Company's establishment, three years, 1906 to 1909; and he taught violin while holding these positions. For a year or so, he devoted himself to music, and in 1910 became associated with William P. Hallinger in the real estate and insurance lines, continuing until 1912 in the management of a branch office at South Camden. He established his own real estate and insurance offices, October 15, 1912, at No. 411 Broadway, Camden, removing in 1915 to No. 21 Broadway. On June 1, 1923, he opened his present offices at No. 313 Market Street, and he is devoting his entire time to the development of the business of the Fairfield Estates Corporation, at Sewell. He also handles all lines of insurance with the exception of life insurance.
A Republican in politics, he adheres to the principles of that party, but has not held public office. During the World War, Mr. Clow was foremost in the various drives for men, munitions and money; he was a leading member of the Red Cross Chapter, chairman of one of the teams, and active on the Camden County and the Young Men's Christian Association drives. His fraternal affiliations are those of the Free and Accepted Masons, affiliating with Camden Lodge, No. 15, where he was Senior Deacon four years; Siloam Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; Crusade Consistory, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite; Crescent Shrine, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles Is of the Mystic Shrine; Camden Lodge, No. 293, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; Wyoming Tribe, Improved Order of Red Men. He served one year as vice-president of the National Association of Real Estate Dealers; was one of the founders and charter members of the New Jersey Real Estate League; is a charter member of the Camden Real Estate Board, and was its president one year; was vice-president of the Camden Board of Trade in 1914-1915, before that organization became known as the Chamber of Commerce; is a member of the Mortgagors' Club of Philadelphia and Camden; member of the Riverton and the Tavistock Chambers of Commerce; member and of past president of the Kiwanis Club, of Camden. His religious fellowship is with the Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church.
Mr. Clow married, January 1, 1914, at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Vera G. Hoy, a daughter of Robert Hoy, deceased.
|Click on Image to Enlarge|
Robert D. Clow Jr. was active in both the YMCA and Elks, both on Federal Street east of Broadway. This postcard shows both buildings as they appeared from about 1905 through 1925. His offices at 21 Broadway was literally around the corner.
September 7, 1919
Click on Images for PDF File of Complete Article
Henry Wilson - Charles
RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE