CHAPMAN KNOWLES was born on November 6, 1871 in Yorkshire,
England to Thomas C. Knowles and the former Ann Hannah Stocks.
The family appears in the 1892 Camden City Directory at 1116 Mechanic
Street. Thomas Knowles was working as a blacksmith, Henry as
a morocco finisher, and half-sister Marcy as a twister at the
Howland Croft & Son mill on Broadway. In 1893 Henry C.
Knowles married Sarah T. "Sadie" Long, the daughter of
P. Long and his wife Emma. This marriage produced five
children, Alice, John Thomas, Annie, Emma, and Charles Knowles.
Henry and Sadie Knowles and her family had moved to 1051 Kaighn
Avenue by the time the 1895 City Directory was compiled.
With only a few exceptions, Henry Knowles and family remained at
that address until 1921. The 1897 Directory shows them at 1007 Sycamore
Street. Directories from 1899 through 1902 have them at 1053
Avenue, next door to John P. Long and family. The 1903
Directory has the Henry Knowles at 1214 Mt.
Ephraim Avenue, then from 1904 through 1921 he and his
family is back at 1051 Kaighn
Avenue. As Emma Long had died in 1901, John P. Long lived
with his daughter and Henry Knowles for most of this period. The
1920 Census shows Henry Knowles, wife Sarah, sons John T. and
Charles, daughter Emma Knowles Friezer, her husband Garland and
daughter Helen at 1051 Kaighn
Avenue. Sadly, Sarah Knowles died of a stroke at her home on
May 14, 1920. The 1922 Directory shows that Henry Knowles, his
father-in-law, daughter and son-in-law had moved to 1154 Liberty
Street. John P. Long and the Friezers appear to have moved
to Somerdale, New Jersey by 1923. It is not clear as to whether
or not Henry Knowles had gone with them. He is not listed in
City Directories from 1923 through 1928. He does return to the
Directories at 1517 Mt.
Ephraim Avenue in 1929, and remained there until his death.
His daughter Alice had lived there with her husband Leroy Tucker
since 1918 and he may have stayed with them during these
P. Long served as a member of the Camden Fire Department
from 1890 to the fall of 1910. Perhaps do to his father-in-law's
influence, Henry Knowles was appointed to the
Camden Fire Department on June 13, 1910 and began service on
July 1, 1910 as the houseman at Engine Company
7, and appears to have kept that position through at least
1922 and possibly into 1923. The fire department housemen were
eliminated by the City Commissioners on June 29, 1923, but
apparently were soon brought back, and Henry Knowles was brought
back with them. He was still in the position in December of 1931
when the housemen were eliminated once and for all
C. Knowles passed away on September 21, 1942.