GEORGE P. COX was born in Camden, New Jersey on December 23, 1863 to Edward Cox and his wife, the former Caroline Shane. He was the fourth of five children, coming after Francis, William, and Wright Ellis Cox. The fifth child, Blanche, was born in 1873.
George P. Cox was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on May 27, 1894. He was assigned as Driver with the Chemical Engine Company, then quartered at Fire Headquarters at the northwest corner of North 5th and and Arch Streets. The foreman was John W. Toy; The hosemen were Charles Robinson and George Cox's brother, Wright E. Cox. On March 1, 1900 George P. Cox was promoted to Captain and took over command of the Hook & Ladder Company, now known as Ladder Company 1, succeeding Benjamin L. Kellum. On July 16, 1907 George P. Cox was promoted to Assistant Chief, a post similar to today's Battalion Chief.
George P. Cox first married Isabella Phillips. There was a son Edward George Cox, born in 1896. Isabella Cox died in 1905. George P. Cox remarried. His second wife, Lidie B. Cox, passed away in 1916.
George Cox is listed in the 1919 Camden City Directory. He was then serving with the Camden Fire Department as a Battalion Chief. By January of 1920 he had retired. By then a widower, he was living with his younger sister, Mrs. Blanche Carey, at 220 North 5th Street, her daughter Mildred and his daughter Blanche.
George P. Cox passed away in 1940. He was buried at Harleigh Cemetery in Camden. near both of his wives.
|Philadelphia Inquirer - May 30, 1894|
In the foreground, the headquarters of the Camden Fire Department, built in 1899, at 19 North 5th Street. The adjacent building at 31 North 5th Street was built in 1894, and was the home of Ladder Company 1 from 1894 to 1930.
|Philadelphia Inquirer - November 24, 1899|
B. Hatch - George
Right Click on Images to Download PDF of Article
November 28, 1899
B. Hatch - George
Right Click on Images
Philadelphia Inquirer - April 24,1909
|Philadelphia Inquirer - November 7, 1909|
|Camden Post-Telegram - October 17, 1912|
HONORS TO FIREMAN BUZINE
Great crowds last night and today viewed the remains of Fireman Lewis Buzine who was fatally stricken with paralysis last Thursday while driving No. 3 engine. The body was exposed to view at his late home, 1606 Broadway, where services were held this afternoon.
night nearly one hundred members of the Eighth Ward Republican Club
were in attendance and paid their last respects. This afternoon the
services were conducted by Reverend
William Grum, pastor of the Trinity M. E. Church.
Chief George Cox was in charge of the detail of firemen, numbering
nearly fifty, every company being represented by one or more members,
which acted as an escort to the body as it passed through the streets
to New Camden Cemetery. The pallbearers were members of No. 3 Engine
Company in charge of Captain
room was filled with choice floral designs. The Eighth Ward Republican
Club sent a large star and crescent. The design from the Firemenís
Mutual Benevolent Association was a large circle with a big
"5" in the center, being the number of the local lodge.
Members of No. 3
Engine Company of which Mr. Buzine was driver, sent a three-foot
circle of white chrysanthemums and asters designed as a clock and
bearing the inscription "The Last Alarm". The big figures
"83" designated the number of the box from which the alarm
came and in the center was the dial of a clock with the hands pointing
to 1:32, the time the company left on what proved to be Buzineís
There were also many floral tributes from the family. The funeral arrangements were in charge of George Blake.
|Philadelphia Inquirer - October 2, 1915|
A. Stockton - Peter
B. Carter - Thomas
William Patterson - Walter W. Browning - George P. Cox
Engine Company 3
RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE