EDWARD CURRIDEN was the son of William J.
Curriden. He was born in New
Jersey on April 28, 1873. He was one of at least six children, the
others being William, Ida Jane, Harry, Josephine and Samuel
Curriden. His father was an upholsterer.
1880 Census shows the family at 606 North 5th
Street. By 1897 William
and Mary Curriden and Edward had moved to 140 North 11th
Curriden was then working as a driver for the Knickerbocker Ice Company.
He married soon afterwards. By 1906 Edward Curriden had been appointed
to the Camden Fire Department. He then lived at 925 Pearl
1910 City Directory shows him at 921 Pearl
Street. He and his
family were living at 915 Pearl
Street by 1914.
he registered for the draft in September of 1918 Edward Curriden
and family still lived at 915 Pearl
1920 Census shows Edward and Mary Curriden living at 918 North 7th
Street with their children William, Mary, Ida, and Josephine, and two
stepchildren, Edward McCarthy and Anna Immendorf. The family was still
living at that address in 1924. By that time Edward Curriden had been
promoted to captain. His last years with the Camden Fire department were
spent as a Captain at Engine
Company 11. Captain Curriden was granted his retirement
pension in August of 1926.
The April 1930 Census shows
Edward and Mary Curriden living in Oaklyn, New Jersey. He was then
working as a house carpenter. By 1931 he had moved to Mount Ephraim.
MAry Curriden passed away in January of 1949. It was reported in
the Camden Courier-Post on October 7, 1949 that Edward Curriden
was still alive and in good health.
May of 1894 Edward Curriden's older brother Samuel
Curriden was appointed to the Camden Fire Department, along with Joseph Logue,
William Patterson, George Cox,
David Andrews, John A. Dold, William
William O. Sawyer, and Albert James. Samuel Curriden did not remain with
the fire department for long, however. He was let go on March 28, 1895.
He was active in the Civic affairs of Camden
relating to the war effort during World War I. At wars end, he served as the Chairman of
the Decorations Committee, which directed the erection of all Victory
Arches and decorations for receptions to the returning troops, Admiral
Henry B. Wilson Jr., and the Peace Jubilee. The rest of the
committee consisted of the following men: Andrew
B. F. Smith, William S. Abbott, W. H. Turnbull, Charles
S. Boyer, John W. Kelly Jr., Walter L. Campbell, and Charles M.