PRIVATE JOHN T. DEIGHAN was a member of a prominent Camden family. Born in Florence, New Jersey on August 23, 1896, his family came to North Camden when he was a boy.
John T. Deighan was married and living with his wife Catherine Deighan at 1031 Carpenter Street in the summer of 1918. He was drafted on September 5, 1918, and sent to Camp Humphreys VA, where he was assigned to Company F, 7th Engineers. John T. Deighan was home on leave when he died of Spanish influenza and pneumonia at his mother's house at 839 Elm Street in North Camden on October 12, 1918. He was survived by his wife Catherine, his mother, Mrs. Ellen Deighan Park, his brothers Neil and Richard, his sisters Helen and Sarah, his stepfather William Park, and his stepsisters Elizabeth M., Catherine C., and Agnes V. Park. After funeral services in Camden he was buried with full military honors at Calvary Cemetery in Delaware Township (present day Cherry Hill) NJ.
John Deighan's brother Neil F. Deighan operated a popular nightclub and restaurant near the Airport Circle in Pennsauken NJ during the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s. Neil F. Deighan was also a well known sports figure in Camden. He played professional basketball and was a member of the Eastern Basketball League's 1919-1920 champion Camden Crusaders, which were owned by Camden veterinarian Dr. Charles B. Helm. Rich Deighan also had a long career as a professional basketball player in the 1920s and 1930s.
RETURN TO CAMDEN COUNTY WAR DEAD INDEX
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE