Henry Joseph Boye Jr.

Private First Class, U.S. Marine Corps


B Company
1st Battalion
1st Marines
1st Marine Division

Entered the Service from: New Jersey
Died: May 31, 1968
Buried at: Plot: X 0 2003
                  Beverly National Cemetery
                  Beverly NJ
Awards: Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster.

Henry J. Boye Jr. served as an 0331 in the Marine Corps, and reached the rank of PFC/E2. He was slightly wounded in the fighting on Hill 881 on May 21, 1968. 

On May 31, 1968, at the age of 19, Henry Joseph Boye Jr. perished in the service of our country in South Vietnam, Quang Tri. He was brought home, and was buried at Beverly National Cemetery in Beverly NJ on June 14, 1968. 

PRIVATE FIRST CLASS HENRY JOSEPH BOYE JR. was born to Sarah Elizabeth Parkinson Boye and Henry Joseph Boye, Sr. on June 26, 1949He lived with his parents at 2109 Erial Road in Pine Hill NJ.  He was their first child and was followed by two brothers and a sister. Henry, Hank to his friends, spent his childhood playing organized sports such as football and baseball with various township teams. He was a better than average athlete and turned out to be a talented starting third baseman for his high school team – the Overbrook Regional Rams. He also played football for Overbrook Regional High School. 

Always the practical joker, he was responsible for many gray hairs of the teachers who taught him. Henry was a decent student in school, but definitely took more joy in his friends and shop class rather than academics. He loved to work and tinker with cars, as did many of his friends. His pride and joy was a white ’65 Mustang that he bought his senior year of high school.

Henry graduated from Overbrook Regional High School in June 1967. After graduation, he worked at various jobs, becoming a butcher’s apprentice in the summer. In November of 1967, he enlisted in the US Marine Corps and went off to Boot Camp and finally off to Vietnam early in 1968, attaining the rank of Private First Class.

He was only there four months when he was wounded. He wrote to the family and told us how lucky he was to have received superficial cuts from shrapnel. On May 31, 1968, less than a month after receiving his letter telling of his luck, Henry was killed in action in Quang Tri Province, Vietnam. He was one month from his nineteenth birthday. His death occurred during the Tet Offensive, a major insurgence of North Vietnam to South Vietnam.

Henry was awarded the Purple Heart, as well as several medals from the Vietnamese government. He left behind a mother, father, two brothers, a sister, and many friends.


I met Hank at the Philadelphia, PA. airport in 1968 while we were waiting to go to Camp Pendleton. We hit it off right away, and it sure made the trip to "staging" at Camp Pendleton a fun ride; I guess it was a little too much fun, laughing with Hank, since the stewardess told us several times to be quiet.

When we were at Pendleton, Hank and I, along with a Marine named Able (first name), spent most of our off-duty time together in Oceanside, CA (where we got our tattoos). We went to Disneyland several times, and each time was the greatest. I still remember Hank's irritation that I wanted to ride the "It's a Small World" ride. He went with me, but he made clear what a goofy ride it was (he was right!). On the plus side, we saw the "Lovin' Spoonful" there. I danced, but Hank said that it looked like I was very stiff (this is not how he put it!).

When we got to Phu Bai, we were assigned to different companies, me to Delta.

When I humped up the final hill for the day in early June, some other guys from the Battalion told me of Hank's death. It broke my heart.

Written by LCpl Peter Doerschuk, Friend

Camden Courier-Post

June 6, 1968

The following remembrances have been left at
The Virtual Wall

Hank - Thankyou
Posted by The Morgan Kids - Overbrook HS, We were high school classmates


is honored on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial
on Panel 62W, Row 5.


** Note that some of these messages are from years ago
and their contact information may not be good anymore **

Unfortunately, I was unable to meet Henry as he was KIA the exact day I arrived in Nam. Henry may you rest in peace brother and Semper Fi.

Lanny Yox
Fellow Marine
Jun 26, 2007

My friend

I met Hank at the Philadelphia airport when we were both getting ready to go to Camp Pendelton. We hit it off right away. We flew out to Pendleton in adjoining seats. At Pendleton we always hung out in Oceanside with a guy name Able. We had great times together. When we were finally assigned to companies at Phu Bai, Hank went to a different Company. He was killed during our first operation. It broke my heart. I loved him like a brother. I miss him. Pete. Delta 1/1.

Pete Doerschuk
Saturday, September 06, 2003