World War II Honor Roll

Samuel E. Goldy

Sergeant, U.S. Army Air Force


Signal Corps

Entered the Service from: 
Died: October 31, 1948
Buried at: Cedar Grove Cemetery
                  Market Street
                  Gloucester City NJ
Awards: Distinguished Service Medal, Good Conduct Medal

SERGEANT SAMUEL E. GOLDY was the son of Samuel B. and Martha Goldy. Born in New Jersey on May 27, 1922, he grew up in Gloucester City NJ, where his parents owned a home at 453 North Broadway, the corner of Broadway and Sherman Street. The elder Goldy worked as a crane operator in a machine shop in 1930. Samuel Goldy was a June 1940 graduate of Gloucester High School, a member of Cloud Lodge 10 F&AM, and American Legion Post 135 in Gloucester City.

Sergeant Goldy enlisted in the United States Army Air Force May 7, 1941, and served as a radio technician. When the Philippines fell in May of 1942, he was taken prisoner. Sergeant Goldy was one of the 510 American POWS rescued in the raid on the notorious Cabanatuan Prison Camp by the 6th Ranger Battalion on January 29, 1945. 

Samuel Goldy was interviews by an American film crew concerning his feelings regarding his liberation from the Japanese prison camp. 

"Rangers come in that night and it was about as happy a sight I'd ever seen in my life. For three years we didn't have -- we couldn't do anything without someone telling us what to do and now at last we can do what we want when we want to.

I'll be sure glad to get back to the United States where I'll be a free American again, and get myself a milkshake".

Click here to see and hear Sgt. Goldy's comments concerning his liberation. This film clip is in Realplayer format.

He was evacuated back to the United States, but was terribly ill from the 3 years and 8 months spent as a prisoner of the Japanese. Sergeant Goldy passed away on Sunday, October 31, 1948 at the Veterans Hospital in Castle Point NY. 

Sergeant Goldy was returned to New Jersey. His funeral was held at the Parker Funeral Home at 423 Cumberland Street in Gloucester City, and he was buried at Cedar Grove Cemetery in Gloucester City NJ. Sergeant Goldy was survived by his parents and an older sister, Mrs. Martha Rabould, of Gloucester City. 

Samuel Goldy died as a result of maltreatment while a prisoner of the Japanese on December 7, 1944 in the Philippines. Several other Camden County men met similar fates while prisoners. To learn more of what happened to Samuel Goldy and his comrades, read the outline below, and click on the links provided.

(The purpose of this "Outline of Events" is to provide an overall picture into the plight suffered by the Defenders of Bataan. It is not meant to provide detailed, all-inclusive, information. If you wish detailed information, on any of the steps of this outline, feel free to e-mail, "The Battling Bastards of Bataan". Our intent is to provide you with the truth.)


1. On Dec. 7, 1941, Japan attacked Pearl Harbor. The American Pacific Naval Fleet suffered heavy losses in lives and ships. The Fleet was incapacitated and could not, in that state, defend American interest in the Pacific Rim and in Asia.

2. Only eight hours later, on Dec. 8, 1941 (due to the difference in time zones), Japan launched an aerial attack on Philippines. Most of the American Air Force, in the Philippines, was destroyed, while the planes were on the ground.

3. A few days later, Japanese forces, led by Lt. Gen. Masaharu Homma, landed on the Philippines. The Japanese landings were in Northern Luzon and in the Southern Mindanao Islands.

4. Gen. Douglas MacArthur, Commander of the Filipino-American forces decided to meet the Japanese at their points of landing. This course of action deviated from the original War Plan, devised prior to WW II, which called for the American forces to withdraw into the Bataan Peninsula in case of attack.

5. Inexperienced troops failed to stop the Japanese at these points of landing. MacArthur had to revert back to the original plan, withdrawing the Filipino-American forces into the Bataan Peninsula. By the January 2, 1942, the Northern Luzon forces were in-place for the defense of Bataan.

6. Their mission, in the baseball vernacular, was to "lay down a bunt". They were to stall the Japanese advancement, by forcing them to use much of their troops and resources in the capturing of the Philippines, for as long as possible. This would buy the necessary time needed to rebuild the American Pacific Fleet, which at the time had been crippled, by the Pearl Harbor attack and the bombing of the American Air Bases, in the Philippines.

7. The Filipino-American Defense of Bataan was hampered by many factors:

a) A shortage of food, ammunition, medicine, and attendant materials.

b) Most of the ammunition was old and corroded. The AA shells lacked proper fuses, as did many of the 155mm artillery shells.

c) Tanks, Trucks, and other vehicles were in short supply, as was the gasoline needed to power these items of warfare.

d) Poorly trained Filipino troops, most of who never fired a weapon, were thrown into frontline combat against highly trained Japanese veterans. Americans from non-combatant outfits: such as air corpsmen and, in some instances, even civilians, were formed into provisional infantry units.

8. The Defenders of Bataan continued to hold their ground, without reinforcements and without being re-supplied. Disease, malnutrition, fatigue, and a lack of basic supplies took their toll.

9. On March 11, 1942, Gen. MacArthur was ordered to Australia, Gen. Wainwright took his place in Corregidor, as Commander of the Philippine forces, and Gen. King took Wainwright's place, as Commander of the Fil-American forces in Bataan.

10. Around the latter part of March, Gen. King and his staff assessed the fighting capabilities of his forces, in view of an impending major assault planned by Gen. Homma. Gen. King and his staff determined the Fil-American forces, in Bataan, could only fight at 30% of their efficiency, due to malnutrition, disease, a lack of ammunition and basic supplies, and fatigue. On April 3, 1942, the Japanese launched their all out final offensive to take Bataan.

11. On 9 April 1942, Gen. King surrendered his forces on Bataan, after the Japanese had broken through the Fil-American last main line of resistance.

12. The Japanese assembled their captive Fil-American soldiers in the various sectors in Bataan, but mainly at Mariveles, the southern most tip of the Peninsula. Although American trucks were available to transport the prisoners, the Japanese decided to march the Defenders of Bataan to their destinations. This march came to be known as the "Death March".

13. The "Death March" was really a series of marches, which lasted from five to nine days. The distance a captive had to march was determined by where on the trail the captive began the march.

14. The basic trail of the "Death March" was as follows: a 55-mile march from Mariveles, Bataan, to San Fernando, Pangpanga. At San Fernando, the prisoners were placed into train-cars, made for cargo, and railed to Capas, Tarlac, a distance of around 24 miles. Dozens died standing up in the railroad cars, as the cars were so cramped that there was no room for the dead to fall. They were, then, marched another six miles to their final destination, Camp O'Donnell.

15. Several thousand men died on the "Death March". Many died, because they were not in any physical condition to undertake such a march. Once on the march, they were not given any food or water. Japanese soldiers killed many of them through various means. Also, POWs were repeatedly beaten them and treated inhumanely, as they marched.

16. Approximately, 1,600 Americans died in the first forty days in Camp O'Donnell. Almost 20,000 Filipinos died in their first four months of captivity, in the same camp. The healthier prisoners took turns burying their comrades into mass graves, just as they, themselves, would be buried, days or weeks later.

17. Camp O'Donnell did not have the sanitation sub-structure or water supply necessary to hold such a large amount of men. Many died from diseases they had since Bataan. Many caught new diseases, while at the Camp. There was little medicine available to the prisoners. Their inadequate diets also contributed to the high death rate. Diseases such as dysentery, from a lack of safe drinking water, and Beri-Beri, from malnutrition were common to the POWs. The Japanese soldiers continued to murder and miss-treat their captives.

18. Due to the high death rate in Camp O'Donnell, the Japanese transferred all Americans to Cabanatuan, north of Camp O'Donnell, on June 6, 1942, leaving behind five hundred as caretakers and for funeral details. They in-turn were sent to Cabanatuan on July 5, 1942. The Filipino prisoners were paroled, beginning in July, 1942.

19. Cabanatuan was the camp in which the men from Corregidor were first united with the men from Bataan. No Americans* from Corregidor ever made the "Death March" or were imprisoned in Camp O'Donnell. Not having suffered the extreme depravations and conditions endured by the men from Bataan, the prisoners from Corregidor were, overall, much healthier. (*There were Philippine Scouts and some men from the Philippine Army, captured in Corregidor, who were interned in Camp O'Donnell.)

20. Cabanatuan, for most prisoners, ended up being a temporary camp. The Japanese had a policy (which was a direct violation of the Geneva Convention) that prisoners were to be used as a source of labor. They sent most of the prisoners, from Cabanatuan, to various other camps in the Philippines, China, Japan, and Korea, where they were used as slave labor. Some worked in mines, others in farms, others in factories, and others unloading ships in Port Areas, for the remainder of the war. Each subsequent prison camp, after Cabanatuan, has a story of it's own.

21. Left behind, in Cabanatuan, were, approximately, 511 officers and the prisoners too sick to move (and most of those too sick to move never recovered and died in Cabanatuan). Towards the end of the war, most of the men who stayed behind were placed on ships and sent to other camps, in Japan, Korea, and China. The Japanese did not mark these ships, to note that there were prisoners on board. They were bombed and torpedoed by American planes and submarines. Most of these men died, by drowning at sea.

22. Most prisoners who left Cabanatuan in 1942, were sent to the other countries mentioned, in ships appropriately called, "Hell Ships". These "Hell Ships" sailed from Manila to their various destinations in Japan, Korea, or China. As mentioned earlier, the Japanese did not mark these ships as being prison ships, so they were targets for American planes and submarines. Thousands of Americans, who were passengers on these ships, met their deaths by drowning at sea.

23. The conditions on these ships are indescribable and far worse than the conditions endured in "Death March" and Camp O'Donnell.

24. For the remaining three years of their captivity, the Defenders of Bataan were spread throughout the various slave labor camps in Japan, Korea, China, and the Philippines, until each camp was individually liberated, in 1945. These prisoners endured the whims of their brutal captors, with similar conditions and miss-treatment as those experienced in the "Death March", and Camp O'Donnell, and the uncertainty of when, if ever, their captivity would end.

25. Coming from the warm tropical climate of the Philippines, the men sent to Japan, Korea, and China had to adjust to the sub-freezing temperatures of Northern Asia, without the proper personal equipment and indoor heating to survive such cold temperatures. In Manchuria, China, the POWs, who died in the winter, were placed in an unheated shack for their bodies to freeze, because the ground was so frozen and hard that they could not be buried until the spring.

26. After they were released, these men were sent to various military hospitals for physical examinations. Many of their ailments, due to malnutrition, went undiagnosed. Many of the systemic fevers they had contracted went undiagnosed. More importantly, the psychological scars they suffered were never recognized. It was not until years after the Vietnam War, the US government recognized "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder" or PTSD as a legitimate disorder. It is safe to say, each of these men has carried these scars for the rest of their lives, and indirectly, so did their families.

27. After the war, little was made of the plight of these men. Until recently, few books were written about their ordeal. There were many reasons for this: by the time the Defenders of Bataan came home, the US had already heard a multitude of war stories about the great battles in the Pacific and in Europe. The Defenders of Bataan had surrendered. (Most Americans failed to recognize that the Defenders of Bataan were surrendered as a force, by their Commanding General. They did not surrender as individuals.)

28. After the War, Japan and the US formed an alliance to ensure their mutual economic prosperity and to ensure their mutual security. It became an unwritten policy to play down Japanese War Crimes, satisfied with the meager results produced by the Tokyo and Manila War Crimes trials.

29. Unknown to most: POWs held by the Germans died at a rate of 1.1%. POWs held by the Japanese died at a rate of 37%. The death rate amongst the Defenders of Bataan was much higher, because of their weakened condition, prior to their capture.

30. Germany has acknowledged their war crimes and has made restitution to the victims. Japan has denied everything. In their history books and in their school books, they have re-written history in an effort to falsely show they were the victims of the War, citing the atomic bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, as proof of their victimization.

After the war and faced with the threat of the Soviet Union, The United States and it's allies permitted Japan to escape the close scrutiny given to the Germans. Known Japanese war criminals went free to, not only, walk the streets of Japan, but the streets of the United States, as well.

Please bring this outline to the attention of your school systems, which are negligent in presenting this part of World War II to the American youth.

       The Battling Bastards of Bataan   


Presidential Proclamation 4926  
American Salute to Cabanatuan Prisoner of War Memorial Day, 1982

Ben Steele's Personal Chronicle From Bataan To Hiroshima 

Bataan Project

American Defenders of Bataan & Corregidor, Inc.

Camden Courier-Post - November 2, 1948
Click on Image to Enlarge



Army-Navy Screen Magazine
A pictorial report from all fronts for the armed forces only.
Issue No. 58.

Produced by
Army Information Branch
Army Pictorial Service
Air Forces
Navy Department
In Co-operation With All United Nations.

The Story of Cpl. Jolley

Announcer: It was a great day in San Francisco. Whistles blowing. Bands playing. People waiting -- waiting for their ship to come in.

On this ship, more people, waiting -- for a sight they thought they'd never see. Here's one of them, Corporal Alfred Jolley, U.S. Army Medical Corps. When he first saw Frisco he was excited, and he had a right to be. But let him tell you.

Cpl. Alfred Jolley: That's right. That's me up there in the picture. Only look -- we don't call it Frisco. It's SAN Francisco. And it's home.

Boy, oh boy, after three years in a Jap prison camp, home sure looks good -- and in a way it looks different. All those warships, planes going places. And that must be a new shipyard. Yeah, when we pulled into San Francisco Bay, there was plenty to shout about, and there was plenty of shouting, cheering. But it takes more than that to get the Japs out of your system.

And I couldn't help thinking of a different day, three years before. There was shouting and cheering there too -- but in a different language.

It was April '42 and the Japs were mopping up on Bataan. They had it all over us in arms, in numbers -- they kept pounding with everything they had. Their planes were always overhead.

Then one day, when I was out on an ambulance detail, Jap dive-bombers went after the ammunition truck near us. It exploded sky-high. When the smoke cleared, no more ambulance for us. No more left arm for Jolley.

Three days later, they had Bataan, and I was a prisoner in the old Bilibid jail in Manila. From there, we saw the Japs punishing Corregidor. They got ready to take the Rock.

And they took it. On May 6, '42, General Jonathan Wainwright, "Skinny" we called him, was forced to surrender. Our flag came down. The Jap flag went up.

The Japs made propaganda movies of their victory. To show the folks back in Tokyo what they'd won -- another present for Hirohito. Ruined batteries. A handful of sick Americans. And they showed how well they treated us. Clean beds and care for the sick. Plenty of food. Fresh air. All this make-believe for the world to see. There were a lot of things they didn't tell about. Things that were not for the world to see.

This was two days after General Wainwright's surrender. This was twelve thousand Americans, many of them my buddies, jammed into the Kinley Field garage area. One water spigot for all twelve thousand, and no food for seven days.

In Manila, the Japs celebrated. All day long, they held a march of victory. And only a hundred-odd miles away, at the Mariveles Air Field on Bataan, men we knew were herded together to start another march -- a march of death. Hungry, thirsty Filipinos and Americans, most of them too sick to stand, began the seven-day hike to San Fernando.

I was lucky, I wasn't on that march, but my best friends were, and what they went through wasn't pretty. The Japs kept spitting in their faces, kicking their groins, horsewhipping them, burying some of them alive. These enemy pictures don't show the Jap soldiers beating and bayoneting. They don't show the Jap tanks and trucks running down and crushing dog-tired Americans.

But some survived. I met them after I was transferred to Cabanatuan. We lived for almost three years at Cabanatuan and it was lousy. At first we tried to live like humans. We cared for each other while there was medicine, we took vitamin pills while they lasted. We tried to look our Sunday best. But things kept getting worse.

And after a couple of years, just keeping alive was tough. We lived on rice for breakfast, rice for lunch, rice and water for dinner. I lost ninety-three pounds. What made us hungrier was the way they worked us. We pumped their water, we brought their rations, we did their labor, we didn't know what was going on in the outside world.

I wrote dozens of cards like this to mother. She got nine in three years. I only got five of hers. We began to give up hope. When I left San Francisco, there wasn't much of an American army and even less of what an army needs. Now the Japs kept showing us their propaganda movies -- proving to us they had the world. We saw a newsreel on how they took the Philippines. We saw another on how they landed in the Aleutians. We saw their strength. For all we knew they might be sitting in California or Colorado.

Then one day, we saw planes -- American planes back over the Philippines. After that, the Japs made it tougher than ever for us. And then, MacArthur and his men were back -- we began to hope again. Some of us prayed. We didn't know that already Rangers and Filipino guerrillas were on their way. Then, they came.

They got us away -- regular Cowboy-and-Indian stuff. They piled us into trucks. First stop was the 92nd Evacuation Hospital. That's me right there. The second stop was chow. The third stop, what the well-dressed GI will wear. And then the last stop -- home.

Things started popping all at once. WACS came alongside, the first I'd ever seen. They passed out mail. And there was a special letter, a greeting from our Commander-in-Chief. That made it official. The men wrote wires telling when they'd get home. How we waited for that gangplank to go down.

Funny the way we worried back in prison camp, if anyone was remembering us. There was someone -- for everyone. That's Gaston and his wife. He was our First Sergeant in the prison. Then, well, that's me and my Mom.

It was a big day in San Francisco. Even the kids out to cheer and wave. I waved right back. They looked swell. There was one detour -- the hospital.

After that there were a lot of things I wanted to do right away. I wanted to walk down Market Street again. And I did. I wanted to take a good look at the old high school. And I did. Back home, I wanted to hit the sack without a worry. And I did.

And Mom wanted something too. She wanted to show me the scrapbook she'd kept since I'd left for the Philippines. She had put in just about everything that mentioned me or my outfit. There was one clipping I liked best, and I'll remember it the longest. [Headline: "Stars and Stripes Fly Again Over Corregidor"] Because for me, and for the rest of us, this meant freedom.

       Announcer: A daring commando raid on a Japanese prisoner of war camp at Cabu.

On 30 January, 121 picked fighters of the 6th Ranger Battalion and 286 Filipino guerrillas penetrate into the Nueva Ecija hills, about 25 miles behind Japanese lines east of Tarlac. Five hundred and eleven prisoners awaited rescue, including 486 Americans, 23 British, three Netherlanders, and one Norwegian.

One of the rescued Americans, Major Emil P. Reed, Medical Corps, 26th Cavalry, recounts events at the prison camp prior to the raid:

Major Reed: It was my somewhat doubtful pleasure to be the commanding officer of the prison camp at Cabanatuan, Prison Camp #1, from October of 1944 until January the 8th of 1945. At noon on January of this year -- January the 7th -- I was called over to the Japanese commandant with my two adjutants. It had been obvious to us that there was something astir. There were trunks packed and much excitement on the Japanese side -- area.

We went over and met with the Japanese commandant at promptly noon. He very formally got up, informed us through an interpreter that at noon today, January the 7th, we ceased to be prisoners of war anymore, and are now free Americans, free to go and come as we please, at our own risk. He did tell us, though, if we would stay in the barbed-wire area where we had been living we would not be molested by the Japanese.

Announcer: Sergeant Samuel Goldy, Signal Corps:

Sergeant Goldy: Rangers come in that night and it was about as happy a sight I'd ever seen in my life. For three years we didn't have -- we couldn't do anything without someone telling us what to do and now at last we can do what we want when we want to.

I'll be sure glad to get back to the United States where I'll be a free American again, and get myself a milkshake.

Announcer: The Japanese guards, surprised under cover of darkness, were all killed and the rescue party immediately started a forced march back to the American lines, beating off several Jap attacks. The Rangers who made the raid were from a battalion commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Henry A. Mucci. Major Robert Lapham commanded the Filipino guerrillas.

The rescued prisoners are temporarily stationed at the 92nd Evacuation Hospital at Gimba, Luzon, where they receive medical care, good food and new clothing. Many of these prisoners are survivors of the long march from Bataan to Camp O'Donnell, having been transferred to Cabanatuan for medical treatment. Also in the camp were war prisoners from Corregidor and Mindanao, a large number of civilians from Santo Tomas prison in Manila, and British and Australian troops, who'd been picked up by the Japs after swimming ashore from a prisoners' ship sunk off Luzon in September by Admiral William F. Halsey's Third Fleet.

One of the surviving British prisoners is Sergeant Robert Bell, Manchester Regiment, British Army, Burnley, Lancaster, England:

Sergeant Bell: I'm a Britisher that was liberated from that prison camp. I was taken prisoner in Singapore, from where I was sent to Thailand, and compelled to help build a railway, during which time at least fifty percent of the people that were sent there died of cholera, dysentery, diphtheria, and malnutrition.

From Thailand I returned to Singapore and was embarked on board a Japanese ship which was to take us to Japan. Off the coast of Luzon, this ship was sunk by American dive bombers. Of the 1300 aboard, to my knowledge, only 70 of us survived. From there, after swimming ashore, I was taken to this Prison Camp #1, and I was liberated by the Yanks when they came in.

I'm glad to be back in civilization again.

Announcer: Sergeant Walter Ring of San Roc, Luzon, formerly of Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania:

Sergeant Ring: How do you do, folks. After being rescued from the concentration camp by guerrillas and American troops, made me very happy to meet my son Louis at the gate, at the hospital, to meet me. And to make me much happier, I met my son Sam just a few moments later, which was a guerrilla in the mountains, just came over here by surprise.

I have been in the Philippines for over 20 years. Married over here, fought on Bataan, the plains of Pampanga, have been captured on Bataan, April the 9th, 1942, and been in a concentration camp til January the 30th, 1945. It's been a long time since I have seen my family, I am very happy to be back with them again.

Announcer: After a period of rest and rehabilitation, the rescued men are returned to rear echelons before their transfer back to the States. After the successful completion of the rescue, General MacArthur stated, "No incident of the Philippine campaign has given me greater satisfaction."

Decorations were awarded to all members of the commando party.

The End. No. 43. Secret.