WESLEY YATES JR. was born on April 20, 1900 to John W.
and Louisa Yates. The
Yates family was living in Stockton Township (present day East
Camden) as early as 1850, coming to the area from the
Kensington section of Philadelphia. He grew up in East Camden,
in the late 1910s and early 1920s at 25 North
23rd Street in East Camden.
The Census shows John W. Yates
Jr. living with his parents and
sisters Esther, Sylvia, and Alberta at that address. He was then a soldier with the United States Army.
1924 John W. Yates
Jr. had married Mary Jones and taken up the boilermaker's
profession. They were then living at 928 Woodland
Avenue and stayed their into the 1930s. When the Census was
taken in April of 1930 the Yates family included two
daughters, Florence and Ruth. One son would follow, John W. Yates
III. By 1947 the Yates family had moved to 2400 South
February 1, 1930 John
W. Yates Jr. joined the Camden Fire Department. After serving
with distinction for 35 years, he retired on April 1, 1965. Last a
resident of Absecon, New Jersey, John
W. Yates Jr. passed away on August 7, 1974. His grandson, David
Yates, was named Chief of the Camden Fire Department on June
1, 2010, and served in that capacity until his retirement on
December 31, 2010 after serving for over 25 years.
the mid-1950s, John W.
Yates took a number of photographs of Camden from within the
fire engine he was riding in. His grandson, David
Yates, found a number of them, has scanned them and made them
available to this website. You can read more about John
W. Yates Jr. and his life and times by clicking here.
photos below appear to be have been taken prior to 1957.