Harry Pinsky came to the United States from Russia in the late 1880s. He opened up a furniture store in Camden in 1891, which his son Reuben became head of in 1906. The business was located at 1128 Broadway when the 1914 City Directory was compiled. It later grew to the point that it required a five story building at 836-840 Broadway, the corner of Broadway & Spruce Street, which opened in 1924. The Pinsky building was acquired by a furniture business called Whitehill, which operated there through the late 1940s. By 1936 the Pinsky Store moved to 921 Broadway. This building was later acquired by Joseph DiMona Sr. a few years later. The Pinsky Store moved once again, to 941 Broadway. The business had closed by 1950.
On June 1, 1950 the former Pinsky Store reopened as the thirteenth store in the Stern department store chain, founded in 1897 by Louis Stern, Leon Levy, and Louis Schneider. The Stern Store remained at 836-840 Broadway into the 1960s.
Another Pinsky, Ralph M., also operated a furniture store in Camden, at 1222 Broadway. This business operated in Camden until at least 1977.
Pinsky & Son Co.
June 26, 1915
Northwest on Broadway
from Newton Avenue - 1940s
Click on Image to Enlarge
Camden Courier-Post - June 1, 1950
Click on Images to Enlarge
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE