THE YEAR 1891
SPAN OF A CENTURY
COMPILED FROM NOTES ANDS DATA
The Central Trust Company commenced business on May 11, 1891. The bank was located at 324 Federal Street until April 1, 1892, and then at 323 Federal Street. The bank building at 4th & Federal Streets was opened on October 31, 1900. The first president was Abraham Anderson. Other principals included William L. Hurley, Killam Bennett, Volney G. Bennett, and George A. Munger. This bank merged with the Camden Safe Deposit & Trust Company in 1927.
first Manual Training School in Camden was located on the upper floors
Federal Street in 1891. Professor
Horatio Draper was the principal. A building would be built to house
the Manual Training and High School at Haddon
Avenue and Newton
school opened on October 17, 1899. Within twenty years the city
would outgrow its first high school and build the present Camden
High School at Baird and Park Boulevards. The Manual Training and High School
became Junior High School Number 1, and was later renamed Clara
S. Burrough Junior High School.
Return to Camden NJ - The Span Of A Century - 1828-1928
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOMEPAGE