CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
EMANUEL UNITED BRETHREN CHURCH
following is derived from
EMANUEL UNITED BRETHREN CHURCH is situated on Line Street, above Fourth. In 1854 a small number of the German population living in the southern part of Camden conceived the feasibility of organizing a German Emanuel Church,
little Sunday school had. been started, the meetings being held in the
house of Mrs. Louisa Moushe, on Cherry Street, above Third. The parents
of these children soon took an active interest in the welfare of the
school, and under the guidance of the Rev. Adam Hinkle, preaching in
the German language and regular Sunday services were held at the
above-mentioned house. The membership increased, the school prospered,
but they were unable to build a place of' worship. In 1855 John Warner,
a philanthropist of Philadelphia, and a warm friend of Adam Hinkle,
to build a church for this congregation at his own expense, stipulating
that the preaching should be in the German language, that the church
should be free to all the poor people of Camden, and that the
congregation should be under the pastoral care of the Rev. Adam Hinkle.
In January, 1856, the cornerstone of the present church was laid. The
building is a one-story brick, thirty by fifty feet, and was dedicated
in the same year. The Rev.
Adam Hinkle served as pastor for more than twenty years, and during
seven years of that time he received no compensation. When he was
seventy years old the Conference sent him some assistance.
In 1876 a paralytic stroke disabled him, and he never fully
recovered his health. He died in 3881. Since his death the records of
the church are, in a measure, incomplete, and the following names and
data have been furnished by Casper Tenner, one of the church trustees,
who has served continuously since the time of organization. The
ministers in succession were Revs. Adam Hinkle, Christian Meyers, B.
Deyshur, M. Staetzel, Daniel Yengst, Henry Early, Nicholas Gabal and
Joseph Steltzer. During the pastorate of Rev. Mr. Steltzer there was a
division in the congregation, and a portion of it formed another
congregation. The original congregation adopted the name of the United
Brethren in Christ. Since this change the ministers who have officiated
are David Hoffman, Gottlieb Meyers, Frederick List, M. Muller, Frederick
List, H.E. Roediger and J.H. Unger, whose term closed in 1885. At
present there is no regular pastor, and services are conducted every
Sunday afternoon by Rev. John Light, of Philadelphia.
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE