CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
The Broadway Methodist Episcopal Church was organized on May 9, 1854. It was an outgrowth of the Berkeley Street Sabbath School, organized April 8, 1848. The cornerstone of the old church was laid on August 7, 1855. The lecture room was dedicated on December 25, 1855, and the main audience room January 29, 1857. In 1892 a chapel was erected in the rear of the main structure, the cornerstone of which was laid July 28, 1892. The cornerstone of the new church was laid on June 17, 1897. This church building was dedicated on May 14, 1898.
Methodist Episcopal Church
This building was built in 1855 and used until 1898, when the new church (below) was dedicated.
following is derived from
At the house of Charles Sloan a meeting of Methodists was held on April 8, 1848, where, with Mr. Sloan as chairman and David Duffield, Jr., secretary, the Berkley Street Sabbath school of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Camden, N. J., was organized. Charles Sloan, David Duffield, Jr., Thomas L. Smith, Philander C. Brink, Benjamin A. Hammell, Levi C. Phifer, William Few, John Newton, Richard J. Sharp, I. B. Reed, John B. Thompson, Elizabeth Middleton, Susan H. Scott, Mary Adams, Harriet Davis, Mary Brooks, Hannah Souder, Mary Dunn and Sarah Cheeseman volunteered to become teachers. Chas. Sloan was elected superintendent. A lot was purchased and a schoolhouse built, which was dedicated April 15, 1849,. by Rev. Dr. Bartine. The school then had twelve teachers and sixty-three scholars, which two years later was increased to one hundred and one scholars. A request was sent to Rev. Charles H. Whitecar, pastor of Third Street Methodist Episcopal Church, to form a class, of which Isaac B. Reed was appointed leader, and the other members were Hannah Chambers, Abigail Bishop, William Wood, Furman Sheldon, Priscilla Sheldon, Achsa Sutton, Mary Sutton, Mary Brooks, Elizabeth Bender, Ruthanna Bender, Charlotte Wilkinson, William Patterson, Sister Patterson, Sister Severns, Rebecca Thompson, Elizabeth McIntyre, Hannah A. Reed, Danie Stephenson, Rachel Stephenson, Susan Thomas, Samuel Severns, Mary E. Maguire and William Few. At a meeting held in the Sunday school room on Berkley Street, March 10, 1854, and at a subsequent meeting, May 9th, a church society was organized largely from members of the class above mentioned. Rev. Ralph S. Arndt was the first pastor. Forty certificates of membership were received, and John Lee, Isaac B. Reed and Conklin Mayhew were appointed class-leaders.
first board of stewards was composed of John C. Clopper, Walter Rink,
John M. Pascall and Logan
Alcott. May 30, 1854, the board of trustees
elected were Daniel Bishop, S. S. Cain, William Severns, Conklin Mayhew,
Furman Sheldon, Logan
Alcott and T. H. Stephens. At the same meeting the
name of "Broadway Methodist Episcopal Church of Camden, N.
J.," was selected to designate the new society. Rev. J. H. Knowles
was pastor from May, 1855, to the end of the pastoral year and part of
next year, which was finished by Rev. J. J. Hanley, who remained to May,
1858. In February, 1856, John S. Newton, who afterwards lost his life
with the unfortunates in the " New Jersey" steamboat, was
appointed leader of a class of young converts. The trustees purchased
the property corner of Broadway and
Berkley Street, in 1854, subject to
a claim, and on November 14, 1854, they bought an adjoining lot. The
basement of the church was dedicated December 25, 1855, by Bishop
Scott, and the main audience-room dedicated January 29,1857, by Bishop
Rev. C. K. Fleming was pastor from 1858 to 1860. There were then two hundred full members and one hundred probationers. The Sunday schools under their charge had, in I860, three hundred and seventy-five children.
1860 to 1872, inclusive, the successive pastors were C. W. Heisley, who
went to the army as chaplain, Robert Stratton, R. S. Harris, George
Hitchens, William Walton, R. A. Chalker and Geo. Hughes, and during this
period the church prospered greatly, so that it became necessary to
enlarge the church building. The original building was forty-eight feet
by sixty-five feet, and during the pastorate of Rev. John S. Phelps,
1873-74, an addition of thirty feet was built to the rear. Rev. H. H.
Brown was pastor during 1875. The parsonage, No. 512 Broadway, was
purchased for five thousand dollars, April 20, 1873. Rev. George Reed was
pastor in 1876, and had two very successful years in church work, making
George B. Wight was pastor during 1878, 1879 and 1880. During this
period a plan was adopted to liquidate the debt on the church, which was
then nine thousand dollars, and which has been reduced to two thousand
dollars. The new Methodist hymnal was adopted by the church in November,
1878. In 1879, December 31st, a new department in Sunday school work,
called the Assembly, was started under the leadership of Joseph
Elverson, who has held that position ever since. Rev. Milton Relyea was
pastor from 1881 to 1884;
Additional Notes by Phillip Cohen
Prominent citizens who later were involved with Broadway Methodist included trustee Dr. Joseph E. Roberts Jr., Police Sergeant Thomas M. Stanger, his brother, lawyer Howard Stanger, dentist Dr. A.E. Street, and undertaker William B.M. Burrell..
following is derived from
Broadway M. E. Church is the outgrowth of a Sunday
School that was organized April 8, 1848, at a meeting held at the house of Charles Sloan, on
street, when the
following persons offered their services as teachers: Charles Sloan, David Duffield, Jr., Thos. L. Smith,
Philander C. Brink, Benjamin A. Hammell, Levi Phifer, William Few, John Newton, Richard J. Sharp, J. B. Reed,
John B. Thompson, Elizabeth Middleton, Susan Scott, Mary Adams, Harriet Davis, Mary Brooks, Mary Dunn
and Sarah Cheeseman. (There is retained a complete minute of every board meeting held from then to the present
A short time afterward a lot of ground was purchased and a school house built and dedicated April 15, 1849, by Rev. D. W. Bartine. At this time the school numbered 12 teachers and 63 scholars.
In August, 1849, a request was made to Rev. Charles H.
Whitecar, then pastor of the Third Street M. E.
Church, to form a class on Cooper Mill. Isaac B. Reed was
appointed leader, with the following list of members: Hannah Chambers, Abigail Bishop, Mrs. Wood, Furman
Sheldon and wife, Asa Sutton, Mary Sutton, Mary Brooks, Elizabeth Bender, Ruthanna Bender, Charlotte Wilkinson,
William Patterson and wife, Rebecca Thompson, Elizabeth McIntyre Hannah R.
Reid, Daniel Stevenson and wife,
Susan Thomas, Samuel Severns and wife, Mary E. Maguire and William Few. On March 10, 1854, a meeting was
held to organize a new church, but the matter was deferred until after the annual conference, at the request of the
On May 9th a meeting was held for the purpose of organization, when forty certificates of membership from other charges were received. Added to those already named were : William Severns and wife, Jonathan Kirkbride and wife, Daniel Bishop, John Cheeseman and wife, John M. Paschall and wife, John C. Clopper and wife, John Lee, W. P. Price, Walter Rink and wife, Logan Alcott and wife, Samuel C. Cain and John Lee.
The Quarterly Conference was then organized: Rev. I. N. Felch, P. E. ; Rev. R. S. Arndt, pastor ; W. P. Price, exhorter; John Lee, J. B. Reed and Conklin Mayhew, leaders ; John C. Clopper, Walter Rink, John M. Paschall and Logan Alcott, Stewards.
The first Board of Trustees were Daniel Bishop, Furman Sheldon, Logan Alcott, Thomas H. Stephens, William Severns, C. Mayhew and Samuel C. Cain. They were elected May 30, 1854, and before December of the same year they purchased the Cooper Hill property, corner of Broadway and Berkley street, and assumed an indebtedness of $2,400. In one year from the organization, (May, 1855, Pastor J. H. Knowles) we find the church so vigorous and aggressive that a Sunday school No. 2 was organized on Pine street, Superintendents, Bros. Cain and Paschall. In the meantime the foundations of the first building (Broadway and Berkley street) were laid and the Sunday school room dedicated December 25, 1855, by Bishop Scott. The church was completed and the main room dedicated two years later on January 29, 1857, by Bishop Janes, the total cost being $6,200. From 1855 to 1861 the pastors were: J. H. Knowles, J. J. Handley, C. K. Fleming, Charles W. Heisley and R. M. Stratton. The record shows a continuous increase of membership during these years. At the quarterly conference December, 1861, the Sunday school reported 320 scholars and school No. 2 (which was afterward moved to Eighth and Walnut streets), numbered 60 scholars and 11 teachers. Out of this Sunday School No. 2 evolved the present Eighth Street M. E. Church. The debt on our own church at this date was the Cooper mortgage, $1,300 ; the Bishop mortgage, $3.400 ; the Alcott mortgage, $1,100, and floating debt, $269. Total $6,069.
The conference years of 1862-3, under the pastorate of Rev. R. S. Harris, was in the dark days of the Civil War. During those years the Sabbath school was nearly depleted of its young men by the calls of war. At one time nearly a clean sweep w^as made of our male teachers, officers and librarians. Still the church kept nobly on and accomplished a grand work in the Master's cause. During the time of Brother Harris, Broadway fought the battle of instrumental music for the Methodist churches of Camden and West and South Jersey. It was a hard battle. Some thirty or forty took their certificates because they could not worship in a church with a music box in the gallery.
From 1864 to 1873 the pastors were : George Hitchens, William Walton, R. A. Chalker and George Hughes. In the year 1868, under the pastorate of Brother Chalker the young people's meeting was organized, under the leadership of Dr. Rufus Reed, which has been continued to the present time, without intermission, but recently known under the name of Epworth League.
These meetings have been a source of very great interest and success and contributed very much to the progress of the church. During these years quite a number of young men were added to the church who have been prominent in its work ever since. The growth was so great as to make it necessary to enlarge the church to nearly double its then capacity. This was done under the pastorate of Brother Phelps, in 1873, at a cost of $11,716.18. A
parsonage, No. 512 Broadway, was also purchased at this time at a cost of $5,000. At this date the old debt, $6,069, had been cut down to $4,100, this added to the cost of addition making a total of $20,816.18. During the pastorate of Brothers Phelps, Brown and George Reed this debt was
Brother George B. Wight was our next pastor, serving years 1878, 79, 80, under whose leadership a new financial plan was adopted, called the envelope plan, which proved to be a great success, and has since been adopted very largely throughout all Methodism. Pursuing this plan we proposed to pay off the balance of the church debt — $9,000, by raising $1,000 each year by weekly or monthly payments, which was begun in 1878, and the full amount was raised and the mortgage cancelled in April, 1888. Pursuing this plan we paid off the $3,000 mortgage on the parsonage in two years and cancelled that mortgage in 1890.
In 1879 a new departure was inaugurated in the Sunday school work called the Broadway Sunday School Assembly, which grew out of a class of strangers under the leadership of Joseph E. Roberts as teacher. This grew in interest and numbers until they were compelled, for want of room, to go to the new main auditorium of the church, when it took the name of the Assembly, for adults, from the Sunday school and church in general with the motto, "The whole Sunday school in the church and the whole church in the Sunday school." This, too, became very popular and has since been adopted substantially by all the leading churches.
In 1879 a children's class was organized, under the leadership by Miss Carrie Gorman, now Mrs. Samuel H. Thompson. It has been of very great interest and benefit to the church in affording an opportunity for children of like age, thought and views to meet on common ground.
Rev. Milton Relyea was the pastor in 1881-2-3. During the last year, 1883, the increase of the church and Sunday school became so great that it was necessary to get, if possible, a little more room, so the old gallery was torn down, and a new one, going a little more than half way around the church, was built, and a new pipe organ put in at a total cost of $3,607.50.
Rev. William P. Davis, D. D., followed in 1884-5-6, with marked success. In his first year, 1884, another mission was started on Pine street below Third street, (formerly under the auspices of the
Union M. E. Church, but at this time under the management of a few private individuals) and was assigned to our church. In 1885 we sold it for $600 and purchased a lot 90 feet by 150 feet at the corner of Third and Beckett streets, and built the Wiley M. E. Church and dedicated it in October, 1885, at a cost of $5,191.27. We sustained the mission until it was able
to sustain itself, and then conveyed it, in 1890, to its present organization,
subject to a mortgage debt of $2,500, at five per cent., and we paid the interest on it
The growth of Broadway especially in the following 12 years was remarkable and the need of still more room was beginning to be manifest, so much so that in March, 1887, the Quarterly Conference appointed a committee, consisting of Joseph E. Roberts, Dr. A. E. Street, Joseph Elverson, Dr. Rufus Reed, Thomas I. Gifford, William C. Keen and Wilbur F. Carhart to consider the advisability of building a larger church and to secure plans, specifications, estimates of cost, etc., for the same. The committee organized by electing Joseph E. Roberts, chairman; Wilbur F. Carhart, secretary, and Thomas I. Gifford, treasurer.
On May 15, 1889, under the pastorate of Brother Strickland, our chapter No. 1217, of the Epworth League, was organized by the election of the following officers : President, Harry S. Springer; First Vice-President, Harry L. Titus; Second Vice-President, Miss Frances Heishon; Third Vice President, Miss Nellie D. Roberts; Fourth Vice President, Miss Lizzie R. Street; Secretary, Samuel H. Thompson; Treasurer, Harry W. Middleton. This, too, has been and is still flourishing in the good cause.
On November 16, 1890, our Junior Epworth League was organized under the leadership of Samuel H. Thompson, and is still accomplishing a grand and good work for the young people.
On February 20, 1890, Brothers William C. Riggs, Albert L. Mulford, Harry L. Titus and Harry S. Springer were added to the committee. Continuing through the pastorate of Rev. W. P. C. Strickland the necessity for a new church continued to grow until the second year of Brother Hewitt's administration.
On May 8, 1891, the committee secured the lots in the rear of the church, 80 feet on Berkley street to William street, by 56 feet deep, at a cost of $7,900.
On the third Sunday in May, the 17th, 1891, we took a subscription in the church for $10,000, under our envelope plan, aggregating the sum of $10,214.60. On November 5, 1891, the committee was authorized by the Quarterly Conference to secure plans and specifications for the new Temple. On November 21, 1891, the committee invited nine architects to give plans for the same, without compensation only to the successful one. On April 4, 1892, Messrs. Moses & King's plans were accepted and nine contractors were invited to bid on the plans and specifications for the new Temple. May 17, 1892, the bid of our Brother William Severns being the lowest, was accepted — his bid for the building being $23,578.00. Estimate for additional cost, furniture, heating, gas and electric appliances and everything complete, $9,000; add cost of land, $7,900, aggregating $40,478, the estimated total cost of the Temple.
On June 3, 1892, the committee reported to the Quarterly Conference of having secured in cash from subscriptions taken on May 17, 1891, as above $9,190.15 and approved unpaid subscription of $1,500, making a total of $10,690 (the difference being accounted for by other subscriptions being received since the subscription was taken) and at this meeting the committee recommended that another subscription of $10,000 be taken on the following Sunday, and, if secured, a contract be entered into with Brother Sevems, the contractor, which was concurred in, and the Trustees were given authority by the Quarterly Conference to do all necessary legal acts in carrying out the same. At this time Brother Charles S. Ackley was added to the committee. July 28, 1892, the corner stone of the Temple was laid. On Sunday, April 23, 1893, the Temple was dedicated at a total cost of, including the land, extras, insurance, furniture, heating, new carpets in the old church, etc., $44,958.51 ; interest paid on the same, $4,028.78; total, $48,987.29.
On April 21, 1893, the building committee decided to renew the subscription to the building fund for the year beginning June 1, 1893, to be taken on dedication Sunday, April 23, 1893, for $10,000 and interest on the indebtedness.
On June 17, 1894, a weekly newspaper was started under the management of Dr. A. E. Street, known as the Broadway Record. This was a source of much interest, information and pleasure, but owing to the onerous duties connected with running it, after a season it was discontinued.
On May 11, 1894, under the pastorate of Brother Hancock, the building committee agreed that the subscription to the building fund for the next year should be taken the following Sunday in the same manner as of former years. The subscription was taken the third Sunday in May, 1895, for $7,000, the full amount having been raised.
At a meeting of the Quarterly Conference held February 21, 1896, the building committee reported the
present debt on the Sunday School Temple, after deducting what they considered good of the unpaid subscription,
was about $7,000, and recommended that they make an effort to raise this amount by subscription (payable in
monthly installments during the year) on our next building fund day, and that we proceed at once to arrange
for building our new church during 1897. On May 31, 1896, under the pastorate of Dr. Mace, the subscription
to the building fund was taken for $7,000, as named above and fully secured. At this time the Woman's Thousand
Dollar Club was organized for the purpose of raising a thousand dollars in aid of the building fund. After having accomplished the same, on February 22, 1898, they
agreed to raise a thousand dollars for the Mace memorial window, which they did. After raising the same they
The funeral of the Rev. Dr. James R. Mace, the beloved pastor of the Broadway Methodist Episcopal Church, of Camden, whose death occurred on Saturday morning, January 16th, 1897, took place on Wednesday afternoon, January 20th, from the church of which he was pastor, and was one of the largest attended funerals that has been witnessed in Camden for many years.
The ministers of the New Jersey Conference and the representatives of the Philadelphia Conference, and the Evangelical Alliance, had seats reserved in the old church and on the platform of the Sunday School temple, which they occupied, together with the Official Board of the church. Shortly before 1 o'clock the clergy formed in line in open order on the pavement, between the parsonage and the church, and the remains of the dead divine, in a handsome blackcloth covered casket, were carried into the church and placed in front of the altar, just below the speaker's platform.
The services, which were of a most impressive character, were in charge of Rev. D. B. Harris, the presiding elder of the Camden district, who announced the first hymn, after which Rev. George B. Wight, presiding elder of the Bridgeton district, offered prayer. The Scripture lessons were read by Rev. George Reed, presiding elder of the Trenton district, and Rev. W. P. C. Strickland, presiding elder of the New Brunswick district.
Rev. Edmund Hewitt, D. D., of the Tabernacle Church, next made a brief address, and presented the resolutions offered by the Methodist Preachers' Association. These resolutions, framed by Rev. Dr. Handley, Rev. Dr. Marshall and Rev. Dr. Hewitt, included a brief sketch of Dr. Mace, and paid a glowing tribute to the life and labors of their deceased colleague.
J. Clarence Collins followed with the reading of the resolutions adopted by the Official Board of the church, which were eulogistic of the ministerial labors of Dr. Mace as pastor of Broadway Church, as an earnest Christian and a devoted servant of God, and expressing sympathy for the widow and children of the dead pastor.
Rev. J. C. Russell next followed by reading the resolutions of the Evangelical Alliance framed by Revs. M. M. Finch, J. C. Russell and J. W. Lyell, a synopsis of which is here given :
"We part with our brother in tender grief and with
sense of loss that he should be called away in the early
' 'We extend sympathy inexpressible to the sorely afflicted church, to all kindred and friends bereaved, but most specially land tenderly do we commend in our prayers his dear family, to 'the Father of mercies and the God of all comfort.' We pray they may realize the comfort of His exceeding great and precious promises,' and that this affliction may work out for us all 'a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory.'
"As a devout, sound, able and faithful minister of Christ's Gospel he will be held in everlasting remembrance. 'He being dead, yet speaketh."
The committee of the Philadelphia Conference was represented by Rev. J. R. Westwood, who spoke feelingly of the departed minister, and, in conclusion, said: "Methodism loses a shining light in the death of Dr. Mace, a man strong: in character, and whose death is a loss to the Church which seems incomputable."
Rev. H. J. Zelley, who was 'a colleague of Dr. Mace in the Conference Class of '82, also made a touching address on his dead classmate, concluding with reading the following original and tender poem:
With breaking hearts and weeping eyes
blood-washed robes, our loved, our own,
The concluding address, which was one of the most affecting delivered, was made by Presiding Elder D. B. Harris, after which the sorrowing audience took final leave of the remains.
The pall-bearers were Revs. G. S. Meseroll, W. A. Massy, John H. Boswell, C. Roll in Smith, W. S. Meley, W. F. Carhart, Smith Fogg and William Johnson.
The floral designs which were numerous and handsome, included the following: Epworth League emblem, from Chapter 1217 "The Bible," from the Sunday School; a harp from the choir; a broken column, from the Central Church, Bridgeton; a pillow of white roses, from the, Junior Epworth League ; anchor and star, surmounted by two doves, from the Topicus Club, and designs from the Minerva Literary Society and the Ladies' Mite Society.
The interment, which was private, was in Harleigh Cemetery.
Perhaps the most impressive feature of this solemn occasion, was as all the members of the Official Board stood in lines on either side of the casket, with bowed heads for some minutes, in which the vast auditorium joined in reverential silence.
January 2, 1897, plans for the new church were submitted to the Quarterly Conference by the building committee. January 14, 1897, seventeen contractors were invited to bid on the plans and specifications for the new church. March 8, 1897, the bids were opened, ranging from $80,269, the highest, to $49,483 the lowest bid. Average bid, $63,700. March 12, 1897, the building committee reported having secured a loan of $40,000 at six per cent, upon the church and parsonage property and had arranged for an individual loan of $15,000, and also recommended that a subscription of $10,000 be taken in the church and Sunday school on March 14, 1897, payable in weekly installments, within one year from June 1, 1897, and if the $10,000 be secured, that we proceed at once to erect the new auditorium, or church building, as contemplated. The report was accepted by the Quarterly Conference and the committee was authorized to build the church at a cost not to exceed $60,000.
On April 3, 1897, under the pastorate of Dr. James W. Marshall (who served from 1897 to 1903) the contract for the new church was awarded to Warner H. Jenkins & Co., of Philadelphia, for the sum of forty-five thousand, two hundred and thirty-five dollars ($45,235.00) for the building only. April 7, 1897, we commenced to tear down the old church building; June 17, 1897, the corner stone of the new church was laid; July, 1897, the committee was given authority to sell the old organ for $500 and purchase a new organ at a cost not to exceed $5,000.
February, 1898, a Literary Society was organized under the pastorate of Dr. James W. Marshall, under the management of Miss Nellie D. Roberts, and afterwards Dr. Marshall organized a Junior Literary Society, under the leadership of Brother S. H. Thompson. These have afforded much interest, instruction and literary entertainment to our young people.
On May 18, 1898, the Quarterly Conference agreed to dedicate the new church as soon as arrangements could be perfected. May 15 to 22, 1898, the new church was dedicated, with elaborate and impressive services.
From the dedication of the Main Auditorium, 1898, to our Semi-Centennial year, 1904, all the interest of the Church was fully maintained under the pastorate of Rev. J. W. Marshall, D. D., and Rev. George H. Neal. During this period we raised something over nine thousand dollars a year for the Building Fund. The same was applied to interest on debt, alterations and reduction of mortgage. All other collections were fully maintained..
October 9th to 16th, 1904, we celebrated our Semi-Centennial Anniversary by a grand jubilee :
Sunday, October 9th, Rev. H. W. Bolton, D. D., preached in the morning and evening. Rev. J. W. Lee delivered an address in the Sunday School. The Epworth League conducted the service to a large audience in the Auditorium.
Monday evening was Methodist night. Addresses were made by former pastors G. B. Wight, W. P. C. Strickland, Edmund Hewitt and J. W. Marshall. In the course of his remarks Dr. Wight said: "Broadway Church is my model. It has always met my ideas of Methodism. What a grand Official Board they have. I never will forget the hearty co-operation I met with in my efforts to place the church on a solid financial basis, from which evolved its present prosperous state. Broadway was ever liberal in contributions to benevolence and church enterprise."
Dr. Strickland, among other things, said: "The reasons for the wonderful success were because Broadway possesses a united, aggressive, progressive Official Board, and a loyal congregation. It is 'the' church. It has stood as a unit, holding up the hands of the preacher and making it the glorious church it is to-day. It is built on human character and soul, and shines like a star."
Following Brother Strickland's remarks a solo, "Oh God, Be Merciful," was rendered with splendid effect by John B. Riggins.
Dr. Hewitt said: " 'Broadway' is a marvelous church, of marvelous growth and the good it has accomplished will never be known until the records of time are completed. The cause of this was a divine sight into all work with the requisite co-operation of the men and women of the church. It is the church of the Master, the church of the people, a united church, an evangelistic church, a young people's church."
When Chairman Meley presented Dr. J, W. Marshall he was greeted with spontaneous hand-clapping, a demonstration of the joy felt at seeing him looking so well after the serious illness of last winter. Dr. Marshall in part said: "I am proud of Broadway's fifty years existence, proud it has not yet reached the summit of its power and usefulness. I am glad that it has in it well-to-do men who put their money in it for great good ; glad that the poor man is as welcome as the well-to-do. There is no more perfect illustration of an ideal church than 'Broadway.' "
Tuesday evening, "Portrayal of Broadway 50 Years
Ago." Under the direction of the Social Committee,
About 150 persons, dressed in costume of olden times took part and sang the hymns of "olden times," as they were lined by the leader. Chairman Hallinger made an address. The church was crowded, and great satisfaction expressed.
Wednesday evening, Evangelistic Service. Rev. Charles M. Boswell made a stirring address, his text being, "But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you."
Thursday evening, Reception to Bishop Charles C. McCabe. Addresses of welcome were made by Rev. Geo. H. Neal, "for Broadway Church"; Rev. Marshall Owens, "for Pastors"; Rev. W. P. Davis, "for Presiding Elders"; Rev. F. A Demaris, "For the Young People; Dr. A. E. Street, "for Laymen," and Rev. Edmund Hewitt "for Neiw Jersey Conference. ' '
Bishop McCabe then arose and in part said: "This welcome has been most flattering. I have always tried to do my best and I shall be pleased, if, when my work is done, my reward should be ' well done, good and faithful servant.' " The Bishop then went over his history as a missionary, which was full of interest. He stated that the Methodist Church last year raised $2,000,000 for foreign missions.
At this service Dr. Neal took occasion to extend to the "Estey" Piano Company the thanks of the church for a handsome walnut upright piano, which the company had sent as a ''jubilee" present. The piano is worth $500 and, less the value of an old instrument taken in part exchange at $50, the church received a net gain of $450.
Friday evening, "Grand Jubilee Concert." The concert was rendered under the direction of Dr. Marvin A. Street, Chairman of Committee, assisted by Professor Riggins and C. S. Ackley, and the following talent: Miss Carola Spaeth, pianist; Mr. Frederick E. Hahn, violinist; Mr. William A. Schmidt, violincellist ; Miss Helen Mar Wilson, reader and impersonator, and Miss Isabella Buchanan, soprano. This was a leading event, and was greatly appreciated by lovers of high-class entertainment.
Saturday: on Saturday afternoon a grand mass meeting of the Junior Leagues of Oamden and vicinity was held under the direction of S. H. Thompson, Conference Superintendent.
Saturday evening at six o'clock a banquet was served in the dining-room by Caterer Geo. J. Hemmer. To this all members and friends were invited, and a large number availed themselves of the privilege. Chairman W. C. Riggs acted as Toastmaster. It was a very pleasant occasion.
Sunday, ''Historical Day." The morning hour, after the regular opening services had been observed, was given over to the Committee, Brother Joseph E. Roberts, Chairman.
The platform was occupied by members who have been
connected with the church 25 years or more.
The first paper was the "History of Broadway Church," by J. E. Roberts, who in part said: "Broadway Church was organized May 9th, 1854, it being the outgrowth of a Sunday-school that was organized April 8th, 1848, at a meeting held at the house of Charles Sloan, on Berkley street.
"The following is a short summary of what we are, what we have accomplished, and our numerical, financial, social and active strength, as we cross the semi-centennial line of our existence.
"With our complete Sunday-school temple and auditorium edifice, second to none, possibly in our conference or State, at a total cost (including interest and incidentals) $134,137.00, subject only to a debt of $24,500. We have a church membership of 1462, and a Sunday-school of 2003, which includes 107 at our Epworth Mission; including Cradle Roll, 38, and Home Department, 90, we have a school of 2131.
''We have an Epworth League of 573 members, and a Junior League of 351 ; a Literary Circle, a Home Guards, a Ladies' Parsonage Association, a Ladies' Auxiliary to the Methodist Episcopal Home, a Woman's Foreign Missionary Society, a Woman's Home Missionary Society, a Poor Fund and Endowment (Folwell Legacy), our Woman's Thousand Dollar Club, etc., and Official Board Committees, such as Social Committee, Committee on Finance, on church notices, on order, on dining room and kitchen, on ushers, on repairs and supplies.
"We have a choir of fifty trained voices, inferior to nothing in Camden at least, and an orchestra of twenty-five active members.
"And thus equipped we enter another fifty years for the Lord, for the church and for humanity, like a noble ship under full sail, with every prospect pleasing.
"In our building operations; after it was found impossible to make the old building accommodate our necessities any longer, by further enlarging it, we took up the new building thought, and started out at first with the purpose of building a new church, on the old site only, at a cost not to exceed $40,000; but, after careful thought and deliberation it became quite apparent that such a building could not accommodate our then pressing and growing demands, and conforming to these new conditions we planned and arranged for our present edifice. 76x180 feet, at a total cost, including incidentals, furnishings and interest paid, $134,137.00, as above. The Philadelphia Inquirer said last week, 'Broadway M. E. Church is the foremost church of that denomination in the United States.'
"Speaking of this edifice, Bishop McCabe said on Thursday night, as he stood and viewed it with its unique and elaborate decorations, with ten thousand (10,000) carnations, roses, palms, fernis, etc., there was one thought that impressed him, the only thing he could liken it to was, 'A bride adorned for her husband.'
"Our financial success has been beyond what the most sanguine dreamed of, and but little less surprising than the building itself. There has been actually paid into the Treasury to this date $109,663.12 and applied to reducing the debt. Our normal financial strength is about $20,000 a year, for all purposes.
"It would seem that we have builded better than we knew.
"As we consider what has been accomplished and listen to the words of commendation and praise, we would not be quite natural if we did not feel a little spirit of pardonable pride. But let us not forget that it is 'Old Broadway' still, with all her hallowed memories, her sacred the same worship, and so may it ever be, a church of the people and for the people, for pure and undefiled religion — really and truly, 'a bride adorned for her husband.' Yes, we have really builded a house unto the Lord, and His holy presence as within lier sacred walls. 'But will God indeed dwell upon the earth?' 'Behold the heaven, the heaven of heavens, cannot contain Thee, how much less the house that I (we) have builded.'
"It is said, 'The evil that men do lives after them, the
good is oft interred with their bones.' But this good at least, that we have done, will not be interred
with our bones, but will live on through many generations after shall have passed away. And the good that shall yet
be accomplished within these hallowed walls will continue to live on a thousand years after decadence has marked
these walls, and after this building shall have crumbled to dust and passed into oblivion. In this we have
left our footprints in the sands of time that the wintry storm and biting frost of a hundred years will not obliterate,
but that others seeing may take heart again. The good that has been accomplished in the fifty years just past
will only be known in eternity ; and shall not we and those who shall follow us strive by all our possibilities to emulate
the zeal and fervor of the past and contribute our full share by the help and blessing of Almighty God to make this
building even more glorious than the former sanctuary in the conversion and salvation of multitudes of precious
souls. A stupendous thought is forced upon us. Is it not evident that there is a manifest obligation placed upon us
"The Missions of Broadway Church" was a paper read
by William S. Wolfe, Mr. Wolfe said: "It is well to remember how this very church sprang from the mission
school of 1848. In May 1855, Sunday-school No. 2 was started on Pine
street and afterward removed to Eighth
streets ; the result of which was the present Eighth Street
Church. Eagle Hall Mission, located on Pine
street was sold in 1885 for $700, Which sum was used in part purchase of ground at
Third and Beckett
which resulted in the building of Wiley Church, dedicated in October, 1885.
And now we have the Epworth Mission
at 1111 Pine
street. It is a coincidence that all three of these missions originated on
Pine street, two of
which resulted in the foundation of churches and the third is located in a growing locality and should have a church in
"Instrumental Music in the church, how it was first received," was the topic assigned 'to Joseph Elverson. Mr. Elverson said: "When I first came to Broadway in the fall of 1860 the singing was led by a man with a tuning fork. Then they found they wanted some musical instruments. Some thought that wrong, but I consulted with Mr. Bruce, of the Estey Organ Company, and requested him to sell us a melodion on easy terms and he consented. The effect was magnetic, some of the brothers shouting and jumping in their ecstasy of joy.
"Some, however, took offense at the innovation and left Broadway, taking their certificates over to Eighth Street Church, forty or fifty of them, but they all came back again in time. It was hard to secure a player in those days, any one having an organ or piano in their home being considered some 'pumpkins.'
'Broadway church started the musical taste and sacred musical development in South Jersey from New Brunswick down. It cast its bread upon the waters and it has come back in the shape of the splendid 'Estey' piano presented on the occasion of Broadway's Fiftieth Anniversary."
"Broadway's Financial system" was presented by Financial Secretary, Wilbur F. Carhart, as follows: "The early financial system of our church was conducted upon the 'Wesleyan' basis, and in strict harmony with our church discipline, the money needed for the support of the ministry, being raised through the church classes, the members paying to the leaders and they in turn passing it over to the Board of Stewards whose duties included the temporal care of the pastor.
"In 1878, during the pastorate of Rev. Geo. B. Wight, the Official Board inaugurated the 'Envelope System.'
"Since its inauguration, the system has been improved upon from time to time, so that to-day we have a most complete working plan.
"All money for the church and Sunday-school now passes through the hands of an officer known as 'Collection Receiver.' The person filling that position at the present time is Dr. A. E. Street, and with six assistants, meets weekly, on Monday evenings, to perform the duties of the office.
"The Collection Receiver is required to prepare a weekly detailed statement of all moneys received, for use of Financial Secretary, and also takes a receipt from the Treasurer covering the same.
"We have but one Treasurer for all Church and Sunday-school funds. That officer at the present time is Brother W. C. Riggs. Brother Riggs also receives the special subscriptions and passes the money through the Collection Receiver's weekly account.
"The contribution envelopes are furnished our people by the Financial Secretary through the medium of a ' Collector, ' who distributes the envelopes and delivers notices.
"At the present time your Financial Secretary is keeping accounts with more than 1400 members. To credit your envelopes for the year it requires about 26,000 entries in our books. All blank forms used in Church and Sunday-School are prepared by the Financial Secretary, under the direction of the Board. He also purchases all Church and Sunday-school supplies.
"The finances are under the care of a large, efficient committee. Among other things, it is their duty to prepare and submit to the Board an estimate of money required for our various interests, at the annual meeting in February of each year. They also take into consideration such matters as are referred to them by the Board, and report thereon.
"At the monthly meetings of the Board the Treasurer makes a report of the receipts and expenses of previous month and the Financial Secretary makes a detailed report of the current year to date, compared with previous year. With these two reports before them the Board have an intelligent understanding of the current financial condition of the Church and Sunday-school.
"In connection with this outline we would be pleased to state the amount of money our church has raised during the 50 years of her organization, but can only go back about 23 years, the total receipts for that time being $336,810.48. Of this amount $78,597.23 was for Conference and benevolent purposes; an average of $3,400 a year.
"For the information of our people we publish at the close of each year a full and complete annual report, together with our Church, Sunday-school, Epworth League, Choir, Social and Religious organizations.
"We do not claim to have yet reached a point of perfection but are ever ready to take advantage of every advance suggested, and with your co-operation, as in the past, we are sure of the success of 'Broadway' in the future."
"The Assembly Department," was the subject
delegated to Harry L. Titus. "The Assembly," he said, ''is
"The Ushers' Union," was the subject of a very interesting paper read by President Charles M. Curry.
Mr. Curry in part said: "The Ushers' Union of the Broadway M. E. Church was not in existence fifty years ago. If my informant is correct, it has now been some twenty years since a motion was made in the Board of Trustees by Wilbur F. Carhart, that young men be engaged to usher at the public services of the church, and from that time until to-day Broadway church has never been without a corps of ushers.
"For many years the ushers were appointed by the Official Board but in the fall of 1895 Brothers Joseph E. Roberts and Harry L. Titus, representing the Official Board, called the then acting ushers together to form an Ushers' Union, which was effected on September 29th, 1895, by the election of the following officers : President, Chas. M. Curry; Vice-President, C. Waldo Batchelor; Secretary, Randolph W. Rudderow; Treasurer, John B. Kates. The Union then formed is still in existence.
"The Official Board still has a guiding hand on the ushers in Brothers
Joseph E. Roberts
and William C.
"The Union has a capacity for lifting a collection from either 1200 or 2500 people in three and one-half minutes. There is not a more competent, gentlemanly and courteous corps of ushers than the young men of the Broadway Methodist Episcopal Church. Ushering is their business and they handle about 150,000 people every year and consider it a pleasure so to do."
Dr. Rufus Reed talked on the "Young People's Meetings." He asked all who were at the first meeting to rise up. Three responded.
"Well," said Dr. Reed, "those were the days of small things, but I tell you there was a great deal of power in those three in those days."
In 1889 the Epworth League was organized and the Young People's meeting was placed in their care. One thing the Young People's meetings accomplished was the building of the new church, claimed Dr. Reed.
Henry S. Springer spoke on the ''Noted Revivals of Broadway Church." "Methodism, " he said, "was an evangelistic religion and in such old 'Broadway' was born and now lives." Mr. Springer gave a history of all the famous revivals conducted in Broadway church since the early days of Rev. R. S. Harris, during the civil war, down through the passing years to the pastorate of Dr. Neal, telling of their soul saving power and the many well- known citizens converted at the altar.
Rev. Mr. Kulp, pastor of Trinity M. E. Church, delivered an able and instructive address at the Sunday-school service in the afternoon and in the evening Rev. Dr.William Anderson, of New York, secretary of the Educational Society, made a stirring and eloquent address at the anniversary exercises of the Epworth League.
About 1600 persons attended the closing exercises. The music was superb, John B. Riggins rendering a solo in his usual sweet voice.
The address of Rev. Dr. Anderson, now Bishop Anderson, was a literary, as well as an intellectual treat. He advised young people to take as their motto in life: "Onward, upward, outward and Godward." He believed in the strenuous life and also in the author of it. The person who wanted 365 picnics in a year had the wrong conception of life. There are worlds within one to he conquered, the growls of wild beasts in the soul to be subdued. With a ringing appeal, Dr. Anderson concluded and the Fiftieth Anniversary of Broadway Church passed into history with the singing of the doxology.
Thus we crossed the semi-centennial line in 1904, under the pastorate of Rev. Geo. H. Neal, with a Building Fund debt as above of $24,500, which we continued to reduce at the rate of $5,000 to $6,000 a year, until June, 1909, under the pastorate of Rev. Edmund J. Kulp, the last dollar of debt was paid and we cancelled the mortgage and owed no man a dollar.
This occasion we celebrated on 'Sunday, June 6, 1909, by a grand Jubilee — 9.30 A. M., Junior Epworth League, S. H. Thompson, Supt., and the Brotherhood Meeting, addressed by H. S. Springer. 10.30 A. M., under the direction of our pastor. Rev. E. J. Kulp.
After opening services and special music, responses, scripture reading, the Building Committee each made five minute addresses.
In the Sunday-school there was special music by the Mendelssohn Symphony Orchestra; words of congratulation hy Dr. Marvin E. Street, General Superintendent, and address by Rev. G. H. Hemmingway, D. D., of the First Presbyterian Church of Camden.
6.15 P. M., Music by the Broadway Cornet Band on Berkley street.
6.30 P. M. Open Air Platform Meeting, on Berkley street. Singing, and address by Rev. Holmes F. Gravatt, of the First M. E. (Mother) Church of Camden. Also addresses by Rev. Robert Forbes, D. D., Secretary of Home Missions and Church Extension Society of our denomination and by our Pastor, Rev. E. J. Kulp.
7.30 P. M. the front of the church was grandly illuminated from the top of the tower to the center over the door and a design strung across Broadway, in front of the church. Hon. Charles H. Ellis, Mayor of the City of Camden, turned on the lights while the congregation sang "All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name."
7.45 P. M., Jubilee Service in the Auditorium: Selections by Mendelssohn Symphony Orchestra; address by Rev. Robert Forbes, D. D., and concluded by a Jubilee Zion March, accompanied by singing and music by the orchestra.
The time drawing near when the church is to be free of debt the young men of the Official Board feeling a deep sense of gratitude to their seniors, the Building Committee, who had labored so zealously to give them and the community such a magnificent temple in which to worship God, at a meeting of the Official Board proposed a testimonial banquet to them, Which was unanimously adopted, and the following committee appointed to arrange for the same: Charles M. Curry, President of the Epworth League; Charles L. Creely, President of the Brotherhood; Marvin A. Street, General Superintendent of the Sunday school; Joseph C. White, First Vice-President of the Epworth League; John B. Kates, Superintendent of the Assembly.
The banquet was held on Thursday evening, April 22, 1909 at 7 oclock, in the commodious lecture room of the church, which was turned into a scene of splendor, with palms, cut flowers, Easter lilies, azaleas and pink decorations. It was a brilliant church social function. Two hundred and fifty people were in attendance to do honor to the guests — the Building Committee.
At 7.15 the strains of the Mendelssohn Symphony Orchestra were heard, which was the signal for the beginning. Rev. Dr. Sanford M. Nichols, Superintendent of Camden District, was called upon to offer prayer, after which the following menu was enjoyed: Raw oysters, saltines, celery, queen olives, mock turtle soup, fillet de boef, potato croquets, sliced tomatoes, almonds, cream mints, fried oysters, lobster cutlets, french peas, chicken salad, ice cream, fancy cakes, coffee.
After enjoying to the full the above menu, the literary program of the occasion was in order. In opening this part of the program the toastmaster referred to the fact that every member of the Building Committee was present except two, namely, Mr. Albert L. Mulford, deceased, and Thomas I. Gifford, now of California, who sent a letter of regret.
The Building Committee was appointed twenty-one years ago and as a result of their labors of love stands the great monument to Methodism, at the corner of Broadway and Berkley street, and it was in honor of these men of sterling worth and character that the banquet was given. The Building Committee consisted of Joseph E. Roberts, chairman; Thomas I. Gifford, W. F. Carhart, Dr. A. E. Street, Joseph Elverson, Dr. Rufus Reed, Harry L. Titus, Albert. L. Mulford, William C. Riggs and Charles. S. Ackley.
In keeping with the occasion, the Banquet Committee invited a number of the former pastors, and these, with the other speakers, gave many reminiscences of the past, and were heartily applauded. The program included: Selections, Mendelssohn Orchestra; "Building the Temple," Rev. Edmund Hewitt, D. D.; "Six Years of Church Building and Money Raising," Rev. James William Marshall, D. D. ; "Lines to the Building Committee," Dr. A. E. Street; "Five Years' Achievements," Rev. George H. Neal, Ph.D.; "Free of Debt— What of the Future?" Rev. Edmund J. Kulp.
Following these speeches came brief remarks by members of the Building Committee, who delighted all with their stories of the bygone days. Henry S. Springer, a former member of the Building Committee, was called on and he in turn called on the guests to express their hearty appreciation of the work of the Banquet Committee, which they did in a rising vote of thanks.
The women were represented in the speeches by a few words from Mrs. A. L. Mulford, who expressed her great appreciation of the courtesy extended her. The last address of the evening was given by Rev. Sanford M. Nichols, and then followed congratulations to the Building Committee.
The following original poem was read by the author.
Dr. A. E. Street, at the banquet:
thy work as mountains grand
Peep again at the counting table.
How often we unheeding pass
Our love for Will, will stand the test
The oldest, youngest spirit of this crew.
Neither rhyme or reason can be made
One of our number, Mulford, has
gone to rest
No relation to Old Harry (who lives below)
Last but not least, to join the crew.
Not forgetting Mace, Hancock and Neal and Brother
Interior Photos of Broadway Methodist Episcopal Church
My best guess is 1917 or 1918 - PMC
|Click on Image to Enlarge - Click Here to Supersize|
|Click on Image to Enlarge - Click Here to Supersize|
February 22, 1900
Daniel B. Murphy
Ancient Order of United Workmen
March 23, 1908
|Epworth League Officers - Broadway Methodist Church - circa 1910|
Elizabeth Ireton (Mother), Mrs. E.J. Kulp, Mrs. Carrie Thompson, Mrs.
Agnes Hewitt, Miss Martha Hughes, Joseph Atkinson, Charles Ireton Dad, E.
J. Kulp, Ralph D. Baker, Albertis Hewitt, S. H. Thompson"
|League Officers - Broadway Methodist Church - circa 1910|
"League Officers - E.J. Kulp, S. H. Thompson, C.M. Curry, A. Hewitt, J. Atkinson, R. Baker, E. Ireton, M. Hughes". NOTE: E.J. Kulp is standing, 3rd from left.
|"Official Broadway Church, Camden, N.J." - Circa 1910|
|Click on Image to Enlarge - Click Here to Supersize|
|Click on Image to Enlarge - Click Here to Supersize|
Philadelphia Inquirer- September 8, 1913
Miss Vera Kaighn - Rev. Sanford H. Nichols - Rev. Daniel Johnson
|Click on Image for Complete Article|
The Mercy and Help Department of the Broadway M.E. Church will again do its share to care for the poor and needy on Christmas Day. Nearly two hundred baskets, containing poultry and all sorts of vegetables, are distributed among the poor absolutely free of charge. Too much credit cannot be given to the women who annually spend several days in preparing these baskets that the unfortunate ones would not go hungry on merry Christmas Day.
Inset: Rev. Dr. John Handley
Click on Image to Enlarge
Rev. Dr. John Handley
to the Broadway Committee of Broadway Church, Camden, N.J."
Sunday School Picnic at Knight Park, Collingswood, New Jersey - June 1914
|Click on Image to Enlarge - Click Here to Supersize|
Camden Courier-Post * January 14, 1928
BROADWAY M.E. TO HEAR STATE W.C.T.U. HEAD
in Broadway M.E. Church, Broadway
street, will be dedicated
to the eighth anniversary of the eighteenth amendment. At 10:30 the
address will be delivered by Mrs. Nina G. Frantz, state president of the
7:30 PM there will be a patriotic service with selections by the quartet
and chorus. Fifty young people will present an interesting and
instructive “Patriotic Prohibition Pageant”, under the direction of
Ethel M. Pierce, Uncle Sam and Mother Columbia will have their children
of States who will offer their opinion in history of the eighteenth
meetings will be held Monday and Tuesday nights and prayer service on
|Camden Courier-Post - June 15, 1933|
MISSIONARY GROUP TO MEET
Members of the Home Missionary Society of the Broadway M. E. Church will meet this evening at the home of Mrs. Charles Tyler, 1601 West High Street, Haddon Heights.
|Camden Courier-Post - February 4, 1938|
PARENT-TEACHERS COUNCIL PLANS MID-WINTER SESSION FEB. 24
The Mort Plan will be discussed by William T. Fidler, supervising principal of Audubon schools, during the morning session which will convene at 10 o'clock. The subject dealing with education is of current interest to the Parent-Teacher Associations.
A demonstration will be given by the Lip Reading Club of Philadelphia during the afternoon session, for 1.30 o’clock. A speaker will talk on “How to Detect· the Hard of Hearing Child in the Home." "A demonstration of the Braille system will be given by eight students from the Overbrook School for the Blind.
Mrs. Walter Gross, 224 South Fifth Street, has charge of luncheon reservations which must be made by February 1. The meal will be served by the Ladies Aid Society of the Church.
The series of· Homemakers Forum broadcasts on "the adolescent," sponsored by the Home Economics Extension Service Of Rutgers University, will be given over station WOR on Thursdays at 2.15 p. m. instead of Wednesdays at 3.46 p. m. as previously announced.
More than 100 groups in New Jersey are following these broadcasts, using the supplementary discussion and reference sheets provided by the extension service. This material may be obtained through the county home demonstration agents. The second of this series will be broadcast next Thursday afternoon at 2.15 o'clock, over station WOR. "Educating Toward Adulthood" will be the topic discussed by Dr. Robert Sackett, department .of psychology, College of Liberal Arts, American University.
"Watch Your Step," by Miss Mardan L. Telford, safety chairman, will be heard over the N.B.C. Blue Network next Wednesday afternoon from 4.30 to 5.00 o'clock. The broadcasts are sponsored by the National Congress of Parents and Teachers.
|Camden Courier-Post - February 5, 1938|
|Camden Courier-Post - February 12, 1938|
EXTENSION SERVICE TO HOLD LUNCHEON
The annual luncheon and meeting of the Camden County Home Economics Extension Service will be held Thursday, April 28, at the Broadway M. E. Church.
Mrs. L. H. Goettelman, of Brooklawn, heads the committee and is assisted by Mrs. William Straub, of West Berlin; Mrs. Verna Clegg, Ashland; Mrs. Adolph Grosser, Audubon; Mrs. George Luhrmann, Cedar Brook; Mrs. Howard Weeden, Camden, and Mrs. Thomas Hansen, Westmont. The program is being arranged by Miss Mary M. Learning, county home demonstration agent.
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE