CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
United Brethren in Christ
following is derived from
CHURCH of the United Brethren in Christ is situated on
Third Street, below Walnut. During the summer of 1878 the Rev. William
O. Shimp conducted open-air services under the auspices of this
denomination at different points in Camden. On the approach of cold
weather these meetings were held in the house of William Godwin, on
Third Street, below Line. A mission Sunday school was also started at
this house and continued for several months. There were only eight
members of the original congregation, and six children in the mission
school. In 1879 the religious services and the Sunday school were
removed to the house of Mrs. Hebler, on Pine
Street, below Fourth, and
the same year a board of trustees was chosen for the purpose of adopting
measures to build a church or rent a suitable hall in which the
congregation could worship.
This board, after consideration, recommended the renting of the
present church, which is owned by Miss Sallie Stevens. It is a one-story
frame building, and was built for a mission school. It formerly stood on
Locust Street, but was removed to its present location.
The congregation then worshipped as Independent Wesleyan
Methodists, but in 1880 the name was changed to "The Methodists,''
with a Conference in Philadelphia, under the direction of Rev. Dr.
Kirby. In 1882 a favorable opportunity was offered to this church to
unite with the Society of the United Brethren in Christ, and soon after
the change was effected.
Since this date the congregation has greatly increased in number,
and fifty children have been added to the Sunday school, which is now
under the care of the pastor. Early in 1886 Rev. William O. Shimp
started a mission for services and Sunday school in the frame church on
Eighth Street, above Ferry
Avenue, lately vacated by the Scott Methodist
Episcopal Church. The Sunday school connected with the mission has
twenty-nine members, and ia superintended by William Stephenson
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE