CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
MID CITY BAR
306 Federal Street
The building at 306 Federal Street as used as a bar as far back as 1883, when John Beck had a saloon there. Beck remained in business at that site through 1900. By 1904 John Thompson was the proprietor, he remained in business there through the summer of 1910. George Schu, who previously had been in business at 1075 South 2nd Street, had the business in 1914. The building is best remembered, however, as Joe Manfredini's Bar.
Joseph "Joe" Manfredini was born in Italy in 1882. He came to America in 1912, and after running a business in Virginia, came to Camden in 1916. He moved to 306 Federal Street, operating a tavern there from that date until his passing in 1947.
Joe" Manfredini was fatally stricken in his bar on his 65th birthday in 1947. Taken to Cooper Hospital in a coma, he passed away shortly thereafter, and was buried at Calvary Cemetery in what was then Delaware Township (present-day Cherry Hill) NJ, where he rests next to his wife Josephine, who joined him in 1958.
Frank Vari operated as the Mid City Bar during the mid-1950s. The bar changed hands in 1958, when Frank Palermo acquired the bar, which operated as the Mid City Bar Inc. through February of 1970. In 1967 Vincent Pasquarelli applied for the liquor license renewal.
At that time Mr. Palermo sold the building to the Housing Authority of the City of Camden, which was acquiring property in the area for redevelopment. The entire south side of the 300 block of Federal Street including the building that housed the Mid City Bar was razed in the early 1970s to make room for an urban renewal project in Camden that never was fulfilled. The address at 306 Federal Street is now part of the site of the Camden County Jail.
The Bars, Taverns, and Clubs of Camden
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE