CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
949 N. 25th Street
Southeast Corner of North 25th & River Avenue
Beatty's Grille was operated at 949 North 25th Street from the late 1930s through at least 1947. The bar had previously been operated by Mrs. Mary Hinkson, according to the Camden City Directory for 1931. Edgar H. Beatty got the bar from Mrs. Hinkson in the fall of 1935. Mary Hinkson later operated a bar at 3014 Marlton Pike in Pennsauken NJ, at the intersection of South 27th street and Marlton Pike.
In 1939 the licensee was reported to be Edgar H. Beatty. Willard W. Beatty was listed as the proprietor in the 147 Camden City Directory.
By 1959 the Beatty's Grille was known as Juno's Tavern, and operated as such through at least 1966. The bar became Schoell's Tavern by 1970 before changing hands again in the mid 1970s and was known for many years as Crane's Tavern. In the 1990s it became the Old City Brewery Tavern. The Old City Brewery Tavern is presently closed and the building is for sale as of September 2003.
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE