CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
201 Federal Street
Northeast corner of North Second and Federal Streets
The Arcadia Cafe stood at 201 Federal Street, and was a popular spot in Camden for many years. Suring the Prohibition years, William and Sophia Siobodzian ran the bar. Harold Clark acquired it and operated as the Club Royal in 1935 and 1936. He lost the bar, which reopened in 1936 as the Arcadia Cafe, under the stewardship of Fannie Mazer and her family. By 1947 the establishment had gone non-alcoholic, and operated as the Veteran's Restaurant.
|Camden Courier-Post - October 31, 1931|
CAFES ARE CLOSED BY U. S. COURT
Three of Camden's most popular cafes and a Runnemede roadhouse, described on the permits as "soft drink establishments" but known otherwise to thousands of South Jersey and Philadelphia thirsty, were ordered padlocked yesterday.
The padlocks were ordered in Trenton by Federal Judge George Bourquin.
The four places were raided several months ago by federal agents and the padlocks were ordered on the strength of "beerometer" tests made on the premises which disclosed the "soft drinks" were of illegal alcoholic content. Such tests recently were declared legal by Bourquin.
Owners or operators of the establishments are listed in the orders as follows: Bridge Cafe, Thomas J. Kenney, John A. Smith and Charles H. Schwab; the Bronx Cafe, Thomas J. Boland and Florence Scannell; the Arcadia Cafe, William and Sophia Siobodzian, and the Marland Club, Edward Smith and Gottlieb Mayer, president of the Camden German Maennerchor.
An attempt to rob the Kenney Cafe last May 24 failed when police shot and killed Felix Zubelski, 18, of 1039 Diamond street, and wounded Joseph Linkowski, 21, of 1226 Chestnut Street, as they attempted to escape.
Judge Bourqin, who presides over the Montana circuit, was ordered to New Jersey in July to aid the state judge in clearing the crowded court dockets.
Camden Courier-Post - August 4, 1936
The Bars, Taverns, and Clubs of Camden
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE