WALTER FRANKLIN SMITH, not to be confused with Walter Smith, a Camden police officer who was active in the city at the same time, was born on December 26, 1885 to James and Kate Smith in what was then Stockton Township, which was merged into Camden in 1899. James Smith, who had been born in England, was living in Stockton as early as the 1860s.
By the 1880s the Smith family lived on Pleasant Street east of North 27th Street. James Smith supported his family as a produce dealer. The 1900 Census shows the address to be 2989 Pleasant Street.
Walter F. Smith began working for the Pennsylvania Railroad in Camden in 1904 as a brakeman. He had by this time moved to 425 Grant Street in North Camden. When the Census was taken in 1910 he was still a brakeman, staying at Mary Dischert's boardinghouse at 428 Stevens Street in South Camden. He married at some point in the 1910s.
When it was time for Walter F. Smith to register for the draft in September of 1918, he had been promoted and was working as a freight conductor, a position he would hold until his retirement in 1952. He then lived with his wife Anna at 701 North 10th Street in North Camden. The couple remained at this address into the 1920s. By 1924 they had moved to 609 North 8th Street, where they were living when the census was taken in Aril of 1930. They later moved to 715 North 8th Street.
Walter Smith passed away at the age of 69 on August 28, 1954. He was buried at Locustwood Cemetery in Delaware Township (present-day Cherry Hill) NJ.
RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE