On September 2, 1869 City Council enacted a municipal
ordinance creating a paid fire department. It provided for the annual
appointment of five Fire Commissioners, one Chief Marshal (Chief of
and two Assistant Marshals. The City was also divided into two fire
districts. The boundary line ran east and west, starting at Bridge
Avenue and following the tracks of the Camden and Amboy Railroad to
the city limits. District 1 was south of this line and District 2 was
north. The commissioners also appointed the firemen who were
scheduled to work six 24 hour tours per week. William
Abels, from the
Weccacoe Hose Company No. 2 was appointed Chief Marshal with William
J. Mines, from the Independence Fire Company No. 3 as Assistant Marshal
for the 1st District, and William H. Shearman as the Assistant Marshal
for the 2nd District. Abels
had served with the volunteer fire
departments of Philadelphia, Mobile, Alabama and Camden for sixteen
years prior to his appointment as Chief of the paid force.
November 10, 1869 City Council purchased the Independence Firehouse,
the three-story brick building at 409 Pine
Street, for $4500. The
building was designated to serve as quarters for Engine Company 1
the 1st District. On October 29, 1869 City Council authorized
construction of a two-story brick building on the northwest corner of Fifth and
Streets as quarters for the 2nd District. On November
25th the Fire Commissioners signed a contract with M.N. Dubois in the
amount of $3100 to erect this structure. The 2nd District would share
these quarters with
Engine Company 2 and the Hook
& Ladder Company
and the facility would also serve as department headquarters
for the new paid force. The original contract remains part of the
Camden County Historical Society collection.
Engine Company 2 with 1869 Silsby Hose Cart. Photo Circa 1890. Note badges
upon derby hats worn by Fire Fighters.
Amoskeag second class, double pump, straight frame steam engines were
purchased at a cost of $4250 each. Two Silsby two wheel hose carts,
each of which carried 1000 feet of hose, were another $550 each and
the hook & ladder, built by Schanz and Brother of Philadelphia was
$900. Each engine company received a steam engine and hose cart.
Amoskeag serial #318 went to Engine Company 1, and serial #319 to
Engine Company 2. The Fire Commission also secured the services of the
Weccacoe and Independence steamers in case of fire prior to delivery
of the new apparatus. Alfred McCully of Camden made the harnesses for
the horses. Camden's Twoes & Jones made the overcoats for the new
firemen and a Mr. Morley, also of Camden, supplied the caps and belts
which were manufactured by the Migeod Company of Philadelphia. The new
members were also issued badges.
is the earliest known photo of fire headquarters on the northwest
corner of Fifth and
Streets. Originally built in 1869, the
building shows signs of wear some twenty years later. Note the
weathervane shaped like a fireman's speaking trumpet atop the tower.
Also, the fire alarm bell is pictured to the left of the telegraph
pole above the rooftop. The bell was removed from the building once
the fire alarm telegraph system was expanded and in good working
maker's plate once was attached to a harness made by A. McCully &
Sons, 22 Market Street, Camden, New Jersey. This firm provided the
first harnesses for the paid fire department in 1869.
worn by the marshals, engineers, stokers and engine drivers bore the
initial letter of their respective positions and their district
number. The tillerman and his driver used the number "3" to
accompany their initial letter. The extra men of the 1st District
were assigned badges 1-10; 2nd District badges were numbered 11-20 and
the extra men of the hook & ladder wore numbers 21-30.
the Fire Commission intended to begin operation of the paid department
on November 20, 1869, the companies did not actually enter service
until December 7th at 6 P.M. because the new apparatus and buildings
were not ready. The new apparatus was not tried (tested) until
new members of Engine
Company 2 were:
first style of breast badge worn by members of the career department
in the City of Camden. 1869. (Courtesy of the C.C.H.S. Collection).
Pine resigned from service with the Camden Fire Department on
April 2, 1870.
Pine was the son of William and Margaret Pine, and was born in New
Jersey around 1840. He appears in the 1870 Census in Camden's Middle
Ward with wife Mary Elizabeth, daughter Anna and son Harry. The 1872
Camden City Directory shows him living at 309 Taylor Avenue. Another
son, Benjamin F. Pine,
was born in May of 1873.
Pine served briefly with the Camden Police Department in the late 1870s.
On March 20, 1877 Robert
Pine was appointed to serve as a policeman in Camden by Mayor James
Ayers, to begin serving on April 1, 1877. Charles Daubman as
appointed Chief of Police. The other men who were appointed were
Jonathan Watson, Andrew Baird, John T. Miller, Daniel Johntra, Charles
Hart, William Smith from the Third Ward, William Hawkins, Isaac
Ellis, John W. Campbell, John E. Anderson, John Brown, Mark Sheldon,
Thomas Conway, John Furey and
William Smith from the Eighth Ward. Charles Daubman and Robert
Pine had previously served as members of the Camden Fire Department.
1880 Census shows Robert Pine living with his parents and children at
333 Mickle Street, along with a sister. In
the late 1890s Robert Pine was living at 335 Berkley Street and working
as a day laborer. Also at home were his son, Benjamin F. Pine, mother
Margaret Pine, and sister Amy Pine. Robert Pine was still at this address when the Census was taken
in the summer of 1900, and in February of 1902. Robert Pine died of
pneumonia at his home on February 11, 1902.
Pine's son, Benjamin F. Pine,
also served briefly with the Camden Fire Department.