MRS. MARIE E. SIMON was born in Camden around 1890. Her maiden name was Marie Kenney. She lived much of her adult life on Fogarty Avenue, reputed to be the shortest and narrowest street in the country at one time. Fogarty Avenue ran between 9th and 10th Streets from Federal to Carman Streets, approximately where the Camden Police Department parking lot is today.
Marie Simon was known in the neighborhood for her generosity. Called "The Mayor of Fogarty Avenue", she was well known to Camden's newspapermen in the 30's and 40s, and an active member of the Ladies Auxiliary, American Legion Post 231, the Saranac Council 79, Order of Pocohantas IORM, and the Women's Order of the Moose, Chapter 385, in Camden.
Marie Simon passed away at West Jersey Hospital on February 24, 1959. After a funeral at the Robert Blake Funeral Home on Haddon Avenue and Mass at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception at Broadway and Market Streets, she was buried at Calvary Cemetery in what is now Cherry Hill NJ. She was survived by a son, Thomas, and three brothers.
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE