|Philadelphia Inquirer - December 18, 1919|
|Final Resting Place of Lewis F. & Emma L. Holl, and his sister Willimina Holl|
|Click on Image to Enlarge|
The Holl Block
CLICK ON PHOTO FOR ENLARGED VIEW
|The Holl Block - April 2003|
|Above: Looking South from Mickle Boulevard * Below: Looking North from Stevens Street|
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE
George and Lewis F. Holl built many houses and commercial buildings in Camden in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The 1887-1888 directory for Camden shows George Holl at the corner of Broadway and Benson Street, and the directory for 1888-1889 has him at 310 Broadway. Lewis Holl lived with his wife Emma L. Holl at 328 Mount Vernon Street, Emma Holl also worked as a teacher. During this time the Holl brothers erected 12 three story business properties on the east side of Broadway between Mickle and Stevens Streets. George Holl passed away on April 16, 1912, and Lewis on December 18, 1919. The brothers were buried in adjoining plots at Evergreen Cemetery in Camden. The properties on Broadway remained in the family for a time, but eventually found their way into Orphans Court, and were sold at auction in 1941.
In 1942 the Holl block was demolished, and 10 one story stores were built which remain in use as of April of 2003.