READ was appointed to the Camden Fire
Department on April 8, 1876 as an extra man, taking the place of
Thomas Eastlack with Engine
Company 2. James Read worked as laborer prior to
his appointment to the Fire Department. James Read served for one year. He was replaced in April of 1877 by
Howard H. Currie. He
was reappointed to the Fire Department on April 5, 1882 as an
extra man with the Hook
& Ladder Company, replacing C.
Barney Harvey. James Read served for two years, and was
replaced by Frank Stitwell.
Read was born in Ohio around 1837. His wife Emily was born in New
Jersey, it is likely that they married around 1860. When the
Census was taken in 1870 the Reads were living in Camden's Middle
Ward. At that time there were three children, James D., 8; Henry,
6; and Walter F., 3 years of age. James Read worked as a
bricklayer to support his family. By the spring of 1876 the family
was living at 403 Taylor
Avenue. This would be James Read's address for the rest of his
days. When the Census was taken in 1880, son Henry Read had died.
Another son, Frank F. Read had been born.
Read was still alive when the 1887-1888 Camden City Directory was
compiled. By the following year he had died. The 1888-1889
Directory lists "Read, Emily widow of James" at 403 Taylor
Avenue. She was still at that address in 1892, and still in
Camden as late as 1900.