N. COHN was born in 1832. On the 1870 Census he stated that he was born
in Bohemia, in 1880 Germany. It is likely that he was born somewhere in
what is now the Czech Republic. Edward Cohn appears to have served
during the Civil War as a Sergeant with Company C of the 34th New Jersey
Regiment from January 17, 1865 through January 16 of 1866, where he was
mustered out in Mobile AL.
N. Cohn appears in the 1870 census as living in Camden's North Ward. He
had by then married his wife Adeline, who was Pennsylvania born. The
Cohns had a three year old daughter, Adelia. Edward N. Cohn was then
working in the lumber business. He was doing well in that trade, as the
family employed a live-in domestic. He had also started building
Cohn was making his home in Bordentown NJ when the 1880 Census was taken. He
was then in the retail lumber
business. Business had been good to him,
and the Cohn family was still employing a domestic. All through this
period and into the 1880s he continued to engage in construction.
1886, George Reeser Prowell wrote of Edward N. Cohn, in his book
History of Camden County, New Jersey:
Among the builders of
Camden are several who have erected five or six hundred houses each. The
heaviest operators are undoubtedly Cohn &
Ernst, and George
Holl. Fine examples of the work
of the firm first named are to be seen on Front and Point
Streets, between Cooper
and Linden. Mr. E.N. Cohn commenced building in 1866, erecting in that
year 12 houses on Pearl
Street. He then continued putting up blocks and
separate structures, operating alone and in conjunction with Charles B.
Richard and Asa R. Cox, and building not less than one hundred and fifty
houses. He also erected the Pfeil and Galtz building, which was burned.
In 1882 he formed a partnership with Joseph E.
individually, had built about two hundred houses, and as a firm they
have since constructed at least four-hundred and fifty dwellings, to
which line of building they devote themselves exclusively.
1887 Edward Cohn had moved back to Camden, and the family lived at the
corner of 8th and Line Streets through 1889. In 1888 he began work on a
mansion at North 8th and Cooper Streets. The 1890 Camden City
Directory shows that Edward Cohn and family was living at 804 Cooper Street, then one of the most prestigious blocks in the city.
indicated above, Edward
Cohn had partnered with Joseph E.
Roberts, president of the West Jersey
Railroad Company. He would later also partner with George
Holl. The Roberts and
Cohn real estate firm was located at
Street. Edward Cohn bought land from John
F. Starr Jr. in North Camden, and with partners Roberts and Holl built many two- and three-story row and frame houses from
Cooper's Point to Pearl
Street, which they sold and rented out to
working class people. Cohn also bought land near the Liberty Park
railroad station, where he built blocks of similar homes along Liberty
Street , Mechanic
Avenue, and Kaighn
Avenue, between Haddon Avenue
and Mount Ephraim
Alley, which runs west off Haddon Avenue between Kaighn
Avenue and Liberty
Street, is named for Edward N. Cohn.