the late 1920s, neighbor Harry
Wagner Jr. joined the Camden Fire Department, eventually rising
through the ranks to become Acting Chief of department in the late
working as a wireworker, Albert Barker made the acquaintance of John
Glazer, a fellow worker who was also a noted long distance runner in
Camden and the surrounding vicinity. Both men were teammates in the
mid-1930s on the Camden Y.M.C.A. cross country running team, of which Glazer
was captain in 1935 and 1936..
Albert Edwin Barker was appointed to the Camden Fire Department
on July 15, 1942. He reported for duty the following day at Engine Company 7
Avenue. The 1947 Camden City Directory shows Albert Barker had
married, but listed no address for him and his wife Hilda. New homes
were built in the 300 block of North 34th Street within a few years of
the 1947 Directory's publication. By the fall of 1956 Albert and Hilda
Barker were living at 360 North 34th Street. This would remain his
address for the rest of his days.
March 2, 1959 Albert Barker was transferred to Engine Company
North 27th and Federal
Street in East Camden. Albert Barker received a
special certificate form then Public Safety Director Bedell for the
rescue of three children from the second floor of 1141 North 26th Street
on November 24, 1962.
Barker retired on pension from the Camden Fire Department on June 15,
1970. He died in November of that year, survived by his wife.