CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

WYNN MEMORIAL BAPTIST CHAPEL
aka WYNN MEMORIAL BAPTIST CHAPEL
Southside of Spruce Street, east of South Eighth Street

The WYNN MEMORIAL BAPTIST CHAPEL was dedicated on February 23, 1890.  It was named after the much-loved Rev. Isaac Caldwell Wynn, who had died on April 20, 1889. Rev. Wynn had led the congregation of the First Baptist Church for 19 years. The chapel is on the south side of Spruce Street, in the 700 block, opposite 767 and 769 Spruce Street

The Wynn Memorial Chapel's cornerstone was laid in September of 1899. On November 15, 1899 Wynn Memorial Baptist Church organized itself, however as a church the congregation does net seem to have lasted into the 1920s. The Chapel is not listed under its own name in the 1920 Camden City Directory, and who was using it and what for is not clear as of this writing.


Children's Day
Decoration

June 14, 1908

Click on Images
to Enlarge

1891 Sanborn Map

 

 

Philadelphia Inquirer
January 4, 1897

First Presbyterian Church
Emmanuel Baptist Church
Rev. John w. Lyell
Rev. J.S. Heisler

Camden Lodge 293, B.P.O. of Elks

Rev. Dr. Clarence A. Adams
Wynn Memorial Baptist Chapel
North Baptist Church
Rev. Dr. A.G. Lawson
Trinity Baptist Church

Philadelphia Inquirer - January 4, 1897

 

Philadelphia Inquirer

February 24, 1890

First Baptist Church
Rev. John W. Lyell
Rev. M.M. Finch
Rev. William Cathcart D.D.

 

 

 

 

 

Philadelphia Inquirer - April 17, 1918
George Murry - Henry Moffett - Thomas Hansby

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE