CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
WESLEY METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
32 Stewart Street
following is derived from
This church was organized in a tent on the lot where now
stands the church building, September 17th, 1894, by Rev. D. B. Harris, Presiding Elder of Camden District, Rev.
J. B. Wescott and Rev. J. F. Shaw,
The first Board of Trustees were elected October 2nd, 1894. The First Quarterly conference was held October 13, 1894. At a meeting of the church held in Wright's Hall, October 10th, 1894, it was unanimously decided, first, that a church be erected immediately, second, the Trustees constitute the building committee, third, that three lots of land be secured.
On the evening of October 22nd in the presence of quite an assembly of people, ground was broken for a church edifice. Rev. J.B. Westcott, pastor of Dudley M. E. Church, formally broke the ground, while the people sang, "Praise God from Whom all Blessings flow."
afternoon of Thanksgiving Day,
November 29th, 1894 the corner stone was laid by Rev. D. B. Harris, Presiding Elder.
Rev. Dr. Marshall, Pastor of Centenary M. E. Church, Camden, made the address.
Sunday, January 13th, 1895 services were held for the first time in the new church. The formal opening of the new church took place Sunday, February 3rd, 1895, Rev. Dr. Moffett of Camden, officiating.
The church was incorporated October 13th, 1894. Articles of incorporation were received and recorded by the County Clerk, November 2nd, 1894.
The following pastors have served the church Geo. W.
Ridout, September 17th, 1894 to March 14, 1897. He was followed by Rev. Geo. D. Thompson,
who gave himself to the work with a fervency unsurpassed in its spirit of and zeal, which was not for a moment relinquished until disease had fastened itself on him and he was compelled to give up his work. After months of intense
suffering he passed from labor to reward, September 1898. Of him it can be truly said, "He rests from his labors
and his works do follow him." He was succeeded by Edward A. Wells, then a local preacher in the Tabernacle Church of Camden, whose pastorate extended over the period from September 19th, 1898 to March 12th, 1901.
Then Joseph T. Wilde, another local preacher of Tabernacle, became pastor and served the church from March
During the present pastorate plans have been laid and consummated
for the complete renovation of the church property. Last fall a new heater was placed in the church
at a cost of $90.00 and paid for. A new
Under the present pastor's administration Rev. Howard Amer was licensed to preach and after having served supply appointments in the New Jersey Conference, took up the work in Colorado. The Rev. Burton J. K. Way was also licensed to preach and is now doing supply work in our conference. Wesley Bright, recently licensed as an exhorter is now a student at Pennington Seminary preparing for the ministry.
Rev. G.W. Ridout and Rev. E.S. Wells both of whom have gained wide reputation in holiness circles are very successful members of the New Jersey Conference.
The Quarterly Conference of the church is constituted as follows: Rev. William
K. Fisher, Pastor; Wesley Bright, Exhorter; Stewards, Joseph Bacon, Benjamin Todd,
Mrs. Kate Sewall, Mrs. M. Hickman; Recording Steward, Miss Stella C. Sewall; Trustees, Reuben Plum, Benjamin Todd,
Joseph Bacon, Harry D. Brooks; Epworth League President, E.W. Nixon; Junior League
Superintendent, Mrs. Eloise MacElwell;
At some point after 1950 Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church combined with St. George's Methodist Episcopal Church, which was located in the 3300 block of Mickle Street. St. George's was still an active church into the 1970s.
|Philadelphia Inquirer - February 19, 1906|
Todd - Women's Foreign Ministry Society - Arthur
Stanley - Fannie
First Methodist Episcopal Church - Broadway Methodist Episcopal Church
Locust Street - Rita Veratti - Rev. J.W. Lee - Turner Hall
Kaighn Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church - Butcher's Beneficial Society
William St. Claire - Broadway - Chestnut Street - Cooper Hospital
St. Patrick's Cemetery - Church of the Immaculate Conception
Evangelist Howard Amer - Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church
Click on Image for Complete Article
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE