CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
ST. GEORGE'S METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
3300 Block of Mickle Street
following is derived from
The first record of a movement to organize this church
was a call dated November 4th, 1893 and signed by William Horn, for all persons interested in having a new
Methodist Episcopal Church in South Rosedale to meet on Tuesday night, November 14, 1893, at his residence, Thirty-second and Federal streets. The meeting was held according to the call and (was opened with prayer by Joseph H.
LeChard and J. Howard Kirkbride. On motion
of Joseph H. LeChard, J. Howard Kirkbride
was made Chairman and John W. Dixon, Secretary. Brother LeChard moved to elect seven Trustees, which they did
by ballot, James Edwards and Lewis S. Kates acting as Tellers. William Horn, James Edwards, Charles Wentzell,
Joseph H. LeChard, Lewis S. Kates, John W. Dixon, and J. Howard Kirkbride
were duly elected as Trustees for a new Methodist Episcopal Church to be organized
and edifice to be erected on Benson street (now called
The Board of Trustees organized by electing J. Howard Kirkbride, President; John W. Dixon, Secretary, and Lewis S. Kates, Treasurer. The Building Committee appointed consisted of J. Howard Kirkbride, William Horn, John W. Dixon, James Edwards and Lewis S. Kates. J. Howard Kirkbride was ordered to have the ground surveyed and the deed executed. The minutes state that when this meeting adjourned a very spiritual prayer meeting was held.
At the next meeting, which was held on December 15,
1893 at the home of J. Howard Kirkbride, papers of incorporation were signed under the name of St.
George's Methodist Episcopal Church of South Rosedale, New Jersey. Plans and specifications were examined and
adopted, and the contract to build the Church was awarded to S. B. Steelman for $5,200.00. This was
for the building above the basement. The furniture, lights, heating, windows, etc., cost $3,400
making the total cost of the church building $8,600.00, to which we add an estimate of $4,000 for the
spacious grounds, bringing the total value of the property
In the present year 1908, 1909, $500 has been raised by subscription and paid on the Church mortgage, reducing it to $2,400. St. George's Church thus has a property today worth more than $15,600 against which there is a total indebtedness of $4,000.
In the early days, in order to carry the large debt and pay the running expenses (the interest and discount on the note alone amounted to $3,000 in seven years) many heroic sacrifices were made by the small band of faithful members.
The church organized with thirty on the roll of membership and lat the end of the seventh year pastor G. W. Finlaw reported 57 members and eight probationers. At the close of Rev. G. W. Finlaw 's administration there were eighty-four members and seven probationers. At the close Rev. William Stone's administration there were 123 members and 8 probationers. At the close of Rev. W. Elwell Lake's pastorate there were 162 members and 17 probationers.
LIST OF PASTORS.
In November, 1897, Rev. Manlove Smith, having resigned, Presiding Elder Rev. D. B. Harris, by unanimous
vote of the Official Board granted to brother L. Z. Noble license to exhort and placed him in full charge of the
pulpit from that time until Conference. It should be stated that the local brethren of Camden came to the Church's
assistance and from that time (November, 1897) until Conference, about nineteen weeks, the total expense of
pulpit supply amounted to two dollars. New life also at this time came to the
struggling and almost desperate congregation by substantial financial aid from the Camden
City Church Extension Society. During the five months of Brother Noble's administration the following local
brethren gave their services without charge: Rev. D. B. Green, J. T. Wilde,
Charles Tushingham, Dr. Collins, W. Lester, Rev. James A. Smith, Edwin S.
Hann, C. T. Fisler, C. Butterworth, George Powell, Rev. Charles
In other ways were assisted also by Rev. Charles Butler. Miss Josie B. Hillman, now Superintendent of the Holloway Deaconess Home, Bridgeport, Ohio, and brother George C. Baker and Charles P. Boyer.
September, 1898, found us again without a pastor, when Rev. G. W. Finlaw, D. D., came to our rescue and filled the pulpit until Conference. He was then appointed by the Elder and supplied the charge for three years. Too much cannot be said in commendation of our dear brother Finlaw, who, by his Christian life, and goodness of heart endeared himself to all, and during those three years laid a sure foundation for St. George's future..
The following brothers have served as Sunday School Superintendents: J. Howard Kirkbridee, 1894, 1895; William Hewdtt, 1895, 1901; Lewis Z. Noble, 1901, 1904; Philip Y. Quinn, 1904, 1905 ; George H. Davis, 1905, 1909.
The present enrollment of the school is 232 and is growing weekly.
The Church is completely organized in every department, having a Ladies' Aid Society, which has given invaluable assistance to the Church from its foundation. The Epworth League, both Senior and Junior, in flourishing activity. Ushers' Union, Young Ladies' Social Circle, Ladies Auxiliary of the Collingswood Methodist Home, Woman's Foreign Missionary Society and three religious classes, besides the children's class. The Class Leaders have been J. Howard Kirkbride, J. L. Stanton, William Watt, Charles Wentzell, George W. Day, Mary E. Lake and Pastor W. Elwell Lake.
Among the long faithful members of the Church should be noted B. S. Hewett, T. Francis Hawk, Mrs. Charles Wentzell and daughters Almeda LeChard, Mrs. Beulah Sheldrick and Mrs. Joseph Vickers.
The Official Board stands at the present time as follows:
Pastor, Rev. J. H. Magee, appointed March, 1909.
During the last two pastorates the Church has been
emerging from its period of discouragement and struggle, and is now on a fair way to
great service for Christ and Methodism. A steady growth in membership, a unifying
of interests, a strong esprit de corps, an unselfish devotion to the welfare of the Church, a hopeful, happy and expectant spirit, a sound and strengthening spirituality, constant refreshing and blessing from the Great Head of the
Church are among the signs which encourage us to believe that the Master is pleased with our efforts and has
greater victories for us in the future than have even been
Rev. W. ELWELL LAKE,
At some point after 1950 St. George's Methodist Episcopal Church combined with Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church, which was located in the unit block of Stewart Street. St. George's was still an active church into the 1970s. The church and the parsonage were destroyed by fire in the very early 1980s.
April 1, 1909
April 5, 1909
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE